Chapter 20. Scarred

You see, I have no recollection of my previous life.

For some reason, the only memory I have is that I once read this novel "A World Without Light" where I then found myself transmigrated into.

My past identity, however, was an enigma to me.

To make matters worse, I cannot even remember the exact plot. I only recognise its characters and a few major events. Sometimes random scenes pop into my mind like fragments, but that's about it.

"Tell your master to take her home by midnight." Lady Camellia sternly worded towards Sir Louie.

"I shall pass the message, my lady." The grand duke's personal knight answered meekly.

"I understand that Grand Duke Averill is not one to care about rumors, but I hope he considers my maid's position in the palace. Please be discreet."

Even though she spoke with a straight face, Lady Camellia's voice was laced with concern. The way she looked at me fondly also melted my heart.

"Have fun, then." The villainess smiled, her blue eyes sparkling like the sea showered by sunshine.

With that, Sir Louie escorted me out of the room. For some reason, I felt like a child sent off by my own mom. There was a fuzzy feeling on my chest.

"She seems very fond of you." The brown-haired knight commented as we walked side by side.

That made me smile. "Is that so?"

"Yup." Sir Louie scratched his head. "Everybody seems to like you in one way or another, huh?"

I grinned. "Do you like me, too?"

"Do you want my head rolling on the ground?" The knight hissed like a cat. "If His Grace were here, I'd be dead before I could even answer!"

I giggled at his overreaction.

Anyway, Sir Louie brought me at the back of the palace. There, the grand duke was waiting for us with a single horse. He was clad in a cloak, but it didn't hide the outline of his well-sculpted body.

"Here comes my future wife." Alistair, being the hopeless romantic that he is, spoke cheesily as usual. "I was beginning to lose my will to live in those days when I haven't seen you, Isabelle."

I rolled my eyes upwards. "You're so extra."

He smiled then widened his arms. "Hug."

The way he initiated a hug like a kid made me smile. I indulged his request, but I squealed when the grand duke suddenly carried me in his arms.

I kept squirming in panic. "I'm heavy!"

"No," He nudged his nose into me. "You're mine."

Both Sir Louie and I cringed at his words. Good lord, heal this lovesick man. He's not normal anymore. You're mine? Are you kidding me?

Well, he is a character from a novel. I guess he's bound to act like this, being the second male lead.

You know... Cheesy, cringey, and clingy?

"Have you been well?" Alistair gently whispered while caressing my head. "I missed you, Isabelle."

Before I could even mutter a reply, Sir Louie made some weird gurgling sounds on the side, as if he were about to throw up. So extra like his master!

I frowned. "Do something about your knight."

"Leave him be." The grand duke glanced over Sir Louie. "He's upset for being single since birth."