Chapter 40. The Spring Named Isabelle

"Let me get this straight, Haniel. So you insulted the ducal couple and compromised the tower's connection with the grand duke. Is that right?"

Sir Ion tapped his fingers while staring at us.

"Yes, father." Haniel responded rather obediently.

The senior mage of the healing department, Sir Ion, was an esteemed man among my peers. His grey hair and wrinkled face were proof of his accumulated experience through the years.

I only learned recently that Sir Ion is also Haniel's father. But if you look at them, they look nothing like each other, because they're not blood-related.

"And you thought you can resolve the problem by coming to my office with a woman in your arms?"

Out of embarrassment, I faked a cough multiple times. After leaving the library, Haniel decided to visit his father and tell him of the current events.

He did so while still carrying me, by the way.

On the way to Sir Ion's office, I told him to put me down, but Haniel didn't listen to me. He reasoned that it would make the drama more believable if he carries me around like a sack of rice.

Thus, we ended up on this embarrassing spot.

"What problem? There's no problem." He feigned innocence. "And I was only nice enough to come here and tell you in fear that you might suffer a heart attack if you heard from someone else."

"Why, thank you for your consideration." Sir Ion said with sarcasm. "Aren't you such a filial son?"

"You're welcome." Haniel replied, obviously not taking the hint. This guy is such an airhead...

At that moment, Sir Ion looked like he wanted to whack some sense into his son, but he restrained himself. He did a series of inhale-exhale in an attempt to calm down from his child's antics.

"My foolish son," Sir Ion heaved out a deep sigh. "I don't think you understand, but they're not people that you can simply push around as you please."

Haniel remained unfazed, his face stolid calm.

"It's the grand duke and his wife, Haniel."

"My old and stinky father," Haniel imitated Sir Ion's tone. "See my face. Do I look like I care?"

The father and son duo stayed silent for a while, not breaking each other's gaze like they're in a staring contest. Suddenly, Sir Ion laughed.

Much to my confusion, Haniel chuckled as well.

What the heck? Did I miss a joke?

Not wanting to feel left out, I giggled awkwardly as well. We laughed for no reason like three idiots.

But just when the atmosphere was becoming harmonious, Sir Ion slammed his hands on the table and screamed hysterically at his own son.

"DON'T GIVE ME THAT CRAP! APOLOGIZE TO THE GRAND DUKE AND HIS WIFE!" The senior healing mage shouted, his nostrils flaring from anger.

"Don't shout, father. Can't you see? You're scaring Allari." Haniel pointed out with dissatisfaction.

Dude, leave me alone... It's bad enough that you brought me here while carrying me in bridal style.

"Really?" Sir Ion flinched then looked at me. "My apologies, Allari." He's suddenly being polite?!

I could only shake my head frantically.

"As for Grand Duke Averill," Haniel blurted out in an exasperated tone. "Don't act like you're buddies with him, father. Haven't you been dreading on how to kick his company out of the tower?"