Chapter 63. The Truth Untold

"You'll become a famous author someday, Runa!"

That sweet voice echoed inside my head before I opened my eyes. The air was heavy and damp, pressing on my skin like a clamp shroud. It's an indication that the sun has already descended.

"Runa?" I mumbled, slightly disconcerted.

I finally regained my consciousness, with a primal surge of adrenaline that should have lifted me up to standing. However, my heavy limbs disobeyed from numbness, all my nerves seem to be dulled.

When I tried to move my arms, something was gripping on my hand. I tilted my head and saw Haniel soundly asleep on the edge of my bed.

He must've fallen asleep while holding my hand.

How adorable, I secretly smiled to myself.

The peace and quiet of the room was destroyed when a pounding headache hit me. I winced in pain, and at the same time, my lover awakened.

"Callie?" Haniel called with a sense of urgency.

He restlessly hoisted himself out of his seat.

The black-haired wizard caressed my head with light fingertips. Haniel ran an eye over me with a straight face, and he seemed to be in deep thought.

"Does it hurt anywhere?" he asked anxiously.

My forehead crunched up. "Only my head..."

"I see," The mage sighed in frustration. "Wait."

Haniel was about to leave my side when I grabbed onto the hem of his shirt. He looked back over me once more, confusion written all over his face.

"Hm?" He blinked a few times. "What is it?"

Instead of answering him, I held onto his face and gently pulled him down to me. His eyes widened when our lips brushed, but he also responded.

"W-Wait," Haniel seemed unsure whether to savor the kiss or not. "You said your head hurts, Callie..."

"It does," I smiled. "But my lips are totally fine."

My words instantly made him blush. The wizard bashfully buried his face on my neck, the warmth of his breath touching my skin as he whispered.

"My heart almost stopped when you fainted."

I brushed my fingers through his hair.

"How long have I been sleeping?" I inquired.

His shoulders fell in defeat. "A few hours."

Haniel planted soft kisses on my neck as his arms ensnared my waist. After that, he shut his eyes and embraced me again. How endearing.

I stared at him affectionately, feeling emotional.

I love it. I love the fact that he's the first person I see when I wake up. His existence brings me so much joy that just looking at him makes me cry.

Sometimes I feel undeserving of Haniel. He's simply so considerate, kind, and selfless to a fault.

I feel even more insecure now that I'm gradually recalling the memories of my past life. After all, I may have killed someone back then, and even as Kallen, many people have perished on my hands.

Do I still deserve to be loved after all of that?

Afraid that he might notice me faltering, I asked for a favor to make him leave the room. "Haniel, can you please call Princess Odette here for me?"

He seemed a bit curious, but the mage refrained from raising any questions and simply smiled.

I also love that part of him. Haniel is observant and he knows when something is amiss, but he never demands an answer and patiently waits.