Chapter 65. A Knight's Vow

They say that dreams are the reflection of your fears and desires, shaped in the form of things that either make you or break you as a person.

So when I dreamed of you, I was perplexed.

Why?

I already made it clear that I want nothing to do with you anymore. Every time we choose each other, the pages of this story take a tragic turn.

All I want is for us to be free from our past, but be it in my dreams or in my reality, I just can't seem to escape from you, Alistair Kirsten de Averill.

"To think that I would be dreaming of you right after I gave myself to another man." I muttered.

It was a short yet bittersweet dream. The two of us were talking in his chambers in the palace, where we usually cuddled and lazed around in the past.

Alistair was smiling at me. Warmly so.

I used to feel giddy from that. But now, whenever his smiling face appears on my mind against my will, my chest tightens. Everything has changed.

That dream woke me up on the wrong side of my bed. On top of that, I felt wobbly and sore down there. Jesus, Haniel did me like it was the end of the world and that was our last night together.

My memory was hazy due to the fervent pleasure, but I remember doing it with him all night in the privy and passing out just before the sun arose.

"Haniel," My cheeks flushed. "He's a gentleman during daytime, and a complete rogue at night."

Anyway, he must've carried me back to the camp after I lost consciousness. I woke up in the same room that the princess uses. Surprisingly, I was dressed warmly. Thought I was gonna be naked.

I came downstairs, only to find Princess Odette and her ever grumpy knight, Ellis. A map was laid out on the table and they were discussing something until they heard my footsteps.

"Good morning, Kallen!" Her Highness chirped.

"Morning." I curtly greeted.

"About time you woke up," As usual, Ellis attacked me with a side comment. "So tardy. What did you even do last night? You were sleeping like a log!"

I gave her a bored look. I cannot even take her seriously after our fight yesterday. Now I know that she's just a girl smitten with the princess.

"Well," I made a very lewd gesture. My point and thumb fingers were both curled into an OK-sign, while my other hand was pointing on the hole.

I thought Ellis wouldn't understand since it was a hand sign from the modern world, but she did.

"H-How vulgar!" The knight blushed.

"Oh, my." Princess Odette grinned. "Lovebirds!"

"Don't talk about such indecent things in front of Her Highness!" Ellis snarled at me. How uptight.

"Indecent? We're two people in love. You're not the only one who can like someone, you know."

Ellis gasped dramatically at my words. The knight instinctively glanced over the imperial princess, who seemed clueless about our conversation.

"C-Come with me!" Ellis stammered then dragged me out of the house. Haha, she looks so stressed.

As we stepped out, my eyes squinted in discomfit when the sunlight struck my face. It was already late in the afternoon, so the air was quite humid.