Chapter 61. The Grandiose Plan

Death.

It used to be such a frightening word. An idea that anyone rejects from their cradle up to their grave.

"First and foremost," Princess Odette smiled. "For this arc to end, one of us must die. Who will it be?"

But for someone like me who has been through it many times, my heart neither feels fear nor regret. Death does not terrify me anymore.

Haniel crossed his arms. "Care to elaborate?"

The princess turned to Grand Duke Averill. "Please explain the current situation to them, Your Grace."

My face hardened when Alistair and I made eye contact. He was the first one who looked away, and once again, the guilt was evident on his face.

"Prince Dion has been poisoning the emperor for these past few years." Alistair imparted. "In the process of rendering His Majesty into a vegetative state, the crown prince plans to assassinate Her Highness so he'd be the sole heir to the throne."

Haniel chuckled. "So he's hellbent on taking your head. Your brother loves you very much, huh?"

"It goes to show how men are so simpleminded." Her Highness scoffed. "That fool wants to secure the crown just to please his devil of a woman."

Ingrid Nala Marchetti must be egging the crown prince to seize the throne as soon as possible.

"Anyway, Prince Dion knows that you're preparing your forces, that is why he's hastening his plans." Grand Duke Averill continued. "Regardless if he successfully kills you or not, he will murder the emperor a week from now and seize the throne."

"How did he know about the preparations of Her Highness?" I asked coldly. "Did you tattle on him?"

Only the sound of the ticking clock and the faint voices of the campers outside could be heard.

Alistair and I exchanged glances intensely.

"Relax, Kallen." The princess chuckled nervously. "I'm the one who ordered him to leak our plans."

I scoffed. "Oh, my bad."

"Listen," Ellis, still ironclad despite being indoors, clicked her tongue. "I have no inkling what kind of past you share, but you can't keep acting like that."

"Acting like what?" I feigned ignorance.

"Like the grand duke must be criticized, when he's done nothing but help us." The knight answered sharply. "His Grace serves as our eyes and ears in the palace. On the contrary, you have yet to contribute anything to us. Know your place."

Alistair pursed his lips. "Ellis, it's fine..."

"It isn't. Frankly, it's annoying." I could feel her heated gaze under the helm. "I hate people who act so high and mighty. Get off your high horse."

As I thought, this person only has enmity for me.

"Want me to leave, then?" I tilted my head. "It's not like I'm here because I want to. Your master begged me to join you, that's why I came here."

Ellis instantly slammed her hands on the table.

"A-Alright, young ones." Garet, the acting head of the camp, tried to lighten the atmosphere. "We're supposed to be allies. Don't fight with each other."

Thankfully, both Ellis and I kept silent after that.

"Your Highness," The middle-aged man turned to Princess Odette. "You said one of us has to die in order for this arc to end. Can you explain that?"