Chapter 39. Villains

I did ask him where the devil's heart is, but I didn't expect Haniel to say it out loud like some battlecry. When I shot him a horrified look, he was clueless.

I quickly wrote down on my sketchpad.

How could you just blurt that out carelessly?!

"Well, it's only you and me here." Haniel reasoned.

Even so, I said that my character betrayed you! Why did you tell me such an important secret?!

To be honest, I was terrified.

It's not like I'm really planning to stab him in the back, but the story is out of my control. Haniel is a kind man, and he's the closest person that I can ever call as a companion, but I am only human.

Humans are fickle, selfish, and vile creatures.

And that includes me as well.

What if I do betray him?

"Because you might need it, Callista."

My eyes turned moist at his firm yet warm words.

"We don't know the exact reason why the original Allari deceived me, but you might find yourself in a similar predicament where you need to do it."

I bit my lower lip to hold back my tears.

"Should that time ever come, then just do it." He raised his hand on my cheek. "I told you, didn't I? That I'm willing to be betrayed by you. If it would keep you safe, if it would grant your wish, do it."

His eyes looked a bit melancholic, but the way they stared straight into me was reassuring.

Haniel is the only person who's aware about the nature of my existence. He knows about the novel, the plot, and the tragedies that make up my life.

I cannot afford to lose him. I won't let it happen.

I don't want to lose anyone important to me again.

On another note, even if I don't betray Haniel, someone else would still end up doing it. That's the law of the novel. A role must be fulfilled no matter what, regardless of whoever assumes it.

The main question is, who?

Among the mages in the tower, who has a motive to betray him? Who's most likely to be a traitor?

At this point, it will be a matter of circumstances. It must be someone in a tight spot, someone who has no choice but to do the deed. Who could it be?

"For now, we need to make that woman leave." Haniel proposed in all seriousness. "The longer Ruth stays in the tower, the higher our risks of getting hurt. I'm confident that I can protect you and myself, but it's better to be safe than sorry."

I nodded in agreement. Ruth is dangerous.

How do we make her leave?

"The fastest way to do that is to have her injure a mage. The tower is sensitive when one of its own gets hurt by an outsider." He casually proposed.

She already slapped me once, right? If I use her notoriety and get her to hurt me on an alarming level, she would have no choice but to scram.

I suggested that idea to my mage companion.

Should I use myself as a bait?

Haniel frowned, which was such a rare sight.