Chapter 54. Two Suns

More than the injury on my shoulder, meeting Alistair caused me an irremediable heartache.

After everything that happened, both of us were no longer the same people we used to be, and we might have changed for the worse, unfortunately.

But that's life, isn't it?

You change. You grow. You learn.

It just happened that we did those, a bit too much, to the point that we lost our hearts in the process.

"Kallen?" Ashen ran an eye over my body.

The Solstice was already closed when I barged into the tavern. Ashen, who was in the middle of cleaning, was surprised to see me bleeding profusely. He worriedly marched towards me.

"What happened?" He panicked. "You're injured!"

"Let me stay for the night." I said, short of breath.

"Of course!" The ginger replied without an ounce of hesitation, heeding my entreaty. "Come here."

Ashen draped my arm over his back and helped me get upstairs. Drops of my own blood stained the wooden floors that he had just mopped. He brought me to one of the tavern's guest rooms.

"Sorry for the mess." I told him sincerely.

"You dimwit," Ashen gently laid me down on the bed and examined my injury. "Let me see it first."

He tore my bodysuit apart and took a closer look on my shoulder. It seems like the wound is deep.

"Tch. It's too deep." The tavern owner commented in dismay. "We gotta stitch it, but I ain't doing it."

"You better not." I remarked, distrustful. "I'm sure you'll end up doing more harm than good, idiot."

"Hey! Is that how you say thank you?" He rolled his eyes. "Wait here. I'll fetch a doctor for you."

While waiting for Ashen, I tried my best to stay awake. As a hitman, I was used to doing things alone, but I opted to go here since I'm injured.

In such a vulnerable state, I wouldn't be able to defend myself if anyone dares to attack me. As much as I hate to admit it, I'm actually reliant on Ashen, and he's the only person I can trust here.

Shortly, he returned with a middle-aged woman.

"That's our patient." The ginger said hurriedly.

"Alright. Miss, I'm gonna have you to strip first." The doctor said. "Your clothes are in the way."

"I feel numb." I winced in pain. "Please do so."

Ashen, being the whore that he is, tried to hold back his smile but failed. "Well, it would be my pleasure to undress such a beautiful woman."

I glared at him. "Turn around."

"Yes." He answered obediently like a puppy.

As soon as my upper body was exposed, the doctor did her work and tended on my wound. My ginger friend, on the other hand, started asking questions about what happened to me, with his back turned.

"Who did that to you? Was it that predator?"

He must be referring to Count Eleanor.

"Nah," I gritted my teeth to alleviate the pain. "I met an acquaintance after finishing my work."

He looked at me over his shoulder. "And this acquaintance of yours decided to attack you?"

"He was pissed about what I did." I explained discreetly, since there was someone with us.