Chapter 13. Leila

"You should go back first." Alistair suggested when we got out of the room. "I do not mind, but it'd be bad for you to be seen alone with me at this hour."

I stared at him as if he grew another head.

"W-Well, I reflected on my previous actions and realised that I caused you much discomfort by doing whatever I wanted." He cleared his throat, embarrassed. "Forgive me for being thoughtless."

He must be referring to those times when he kept giving me special treatment in front of the servants. We were already the subject of gossip when Alistair chose me as his personal maid, but his excessive attention towards me made it worse.

I covered my mouth sentimentally, like a proud mother. "You've become a true man, Your Grace!"

"For some reason, your words are pissing me off."

"Thank you for your consideration." I laughingly curtsied to him. "This servant shall leave first."

I didn't wait for his response and turned my back from him immediately. The distance between us grew as I walked away, but when I was at the end of the hallway, the grand duke called me again.

"Isabelle!" His manly voice resounded throughout the empty palace. "Remember this distance well."

I gave him a questioning look. Huh?

"From there to here," He pointed to my direction, then to his spot. "That's how far you need to walk to reach the end of the aisle where I'd be waiting."

I laughed at his words. Gosh, he's so cheesy...

"Start practicing your steps, hm?" He gave me a lazy smile. "No one wants their bride to trip."

"Sure, I'll practice my steps, but to the opposite direction." I flashed an impish grin. "I shall be your runaway bride, Grand Duke Averill."

Alistair clicked his tongue. "How heartless."

For the last time, I bowed to the grand duke before departing from the Sky Palace. The chilly night didn't stop me from feeling warm and fuzzy.

Despite being a mere extra in the world of this novel, the second male lead never fails to make me feel that he sees me, that I exist, that there's more to me than my role to advance the plot.

Alistair always looked straight into my eyes.

And it made me feel brave to move forward.

So I mustered all my courage and went to the Sun Palace, specifically in the garden. The banquet had already ended, but I needed to check if something had changed. Otherwise, I won't be able to sleep.

There, I saw a throng of servants and knights in the garden, which had me apprehensive. I made it past the midnight. I was fairly certain that the heroine will be protected by the male lead, too.

Nobody was supposed to die tonight.

So, whose corpse am I seeing before my eyes?

"It's her! She's the one who went missing during the banquet!" A maid shouted then pointed me.

Before I could even process her words, one of the imperial knights lunged at me from behind then twisted my arm and pinned me on the ground.

"Summon an imperial mage!" The blue-haired man with tanned skin commanded. "There are still traces of black magic here, and this woman may have some tricks left up on her sleeve!"

The man, who seemed to be the captain of the knights, pressed on me more with his weight. The way he was riveting me on my spot was so painful. His elbow was thrashing against my upper back, so I couldn't breathe properly.