Chapter 37. Lover

"Allari," Haniel called me softly as he was about to exit our office. "Shall we go to the greenhouse?"

Our fellow mages, especially Emma and Servan, turned to us with hawk eyes like some kind of paparazzi hungry for a scoop. These idiots...

"W-What are you gonna do in the greenhouse?" Servan perspired profusely. "I know you are a full-fledged adult but aren't you going too fast?"

I shook my head in dismay. What nonsense.

"I didn't know you were so ambitious." My brother furtively spoke. "I did say that he is a hotshot, but to think you're already securing your future by getting lovey-dovey with Haniel... Nice, sister!"

"What nice? That's not something you should be praising." Clio pointed out as he walked past us.

"S-Shut up! We're all trying to survive here!" Servan reasoned out with a childish pout.

Emma, who was blatantly eavesdropping from a distance, gasped dramatically. "You and Haniel?!"

Before I could even rebut, the two of them got caught up in their delusions. I saw no point in correcting them, so I quietly left the office and went to Haniel, who was waiting for me outside.

He saw Emma and Servan whispering among themselves, but paid no attention to it at all.

I silently scrawled on my sketchpad.

They've got the wrong idea about us.

"Heh," A little smile crossed his lips. "Let them misunderstand, then. That works in my favor."

He looked at me in the corner of his eye. His lips waned into a thin smile, lazy yet full of contentment. After that, he just went silent.

Those deep purple eyes are like large pools of poison. They're so intoxicating to stare into.

It has been days since Haniel broached the subject regarding the coffin he always carries with him, which actually stores the body of Rumi inside.

After constantly observing the prominent mage, I've come to realize two notable things about him.

First, that Haniel is a taciturn person by nature. He does not speak unless the situation requires him to, and he's habitually silent around anyone.

Second, that he's a natural airhead who gets easily distracted. During training, I often see him getting sidetracked. While practicing his magic, I saw him gaping at the sky, following clouds with his eyes.

He's got such a unique personality.

"Let us begin." Haniel settled himself on the tea table as soon as we arrived at the greenhouse.

Today, we agreed to spare some time and discuss about all the things we know so far. I consented into giving him information, because I saw no point in hiding anything from him about myself.

He already knows that I'm a transmigrator. What is there to hide? Might as well tell him everything.

"So," Haniel paused while rubbing his chin in deep thought. "This eastern princess died and assumed the role of the villainess, but in the original story, that two-faced woman was the one who died?"

I nodded enthusiastically to the mage's reiteration, referring to Princess Himari and Lady Camellia.

"If that's the case, then I can only surmise that the novel does not care who plays the role of who, as long as the plot progresses as planned. Strange."

His face slightly lit up, like he realized something.

"Wait. Before anything else," Haniel rested his face on the back of his hand. "Can we still consider the count's daughter as the protagonist of the story?"