Chapter 71. The First Snow

When I opened my eyes, the first thing I saw was the first snow that slowly took over the autumn wind. Once my vision adjusted, a familiar face greeted me, her visage calm and collected.

"Your Highness?" I blurted out, astounded.

My hands subconsciously landed on my cheeks when I felt their dampness, a sign that I was crying earlier. Or rather, this person was.

Once I saw my ironclad body, I was hit with the realization that Kallen has died in the palace.

This body belongs to Ellis.

And she was crying right before I took over.

"Is that you, Kallen?"

I have yet to fully grasp the whole situation when that question brought me back to my senses. But instead of helping, it just added more confusion.

I stared at Princess Odette, dumbfounded.

But then her query finally got through me, and my confusion quickly turned into horror in an instant. Feeling a surge of betrayal, I grabbed her by the neck and slammed her against the ground.

"Princess," I glared at her. "What did you say?"

"I asked if that's you, Kallen." She reiterated, her amethyst eyes staring back at me calculatedly.

My jaw clenched. "How did you know?"

"That you would eventually possess Ellis?" she replied. "I overheard you talking in the camp."

"You knew, yet you still did it?" My voice cracked as I spoke. "You knew what would happen to Ellis if I were killed, yet you still sent me to the palace?"

Her eyes narrowed into slits. "You should know that the plot can't be changed. It had to be done."

My face distorted in disbelief. "Seriously?"

"If anything, I chose the lesser painful death for Ellis." Princess Odette stated. "She merely had to wait until you died. You did all the dirty work."

"Your Highness!" I fumed. "She loved you!"

"I know," she answered firmly. "I spent my whole life with that girl on my side. Of course I'd know."

I was taken aback by her crestfallen expression.

"This is hard for me as well." Her Highness spoke emotionally. "Do you think I just woke up one day and decided that Ellis would have to disappear?"

The imperial princess bit her lower lip.

"This isn't the first time I sacrificed someone as an imperial princess. A commoner like you wouldn't understand, and I have no hope that you would."

"What were her last words?" I asked, ignoring her reasoning. My chest heaved for my counterpart.

Princess Odette opened her mouth to speak, but her voice betrayed her. For a while, she stared at me tight-lipped before answering my question.

"I love you."

Silence pervaded between us. It felt like we both had an agreement and offered that moment to mourn for the knight who lost her life to me.

I'm sorry, I kept telling her on my mind.

Even though we're not exactly on best terms, Ellis was loyal and pure in my eyes. She was faithful to her virtues. I considered her an admirable knight.

Moreover, Haniel was quite close to her, too.

He treated her like a younger sister.

"There's no point in dwelling over it." Princess Odette was the one who broke the prolonged silence. "I can only hope she rests in peace."