Chapter 42. Love Me, Love Me Not

[Warning: This chapter contains mature scenes that may not be suitable for younger readers.]

"Why do you suddenly want to go home, Allari?"

By the way he was pouting like a child, my brother Servan was obviously sulking. I decided to retreat into our home on short notice, and he was seeing me off in the carriage with a disappointed face.

His shoulders fell. "Can't you just stay here?"

Mages like us who are officially employed by the tower have our makeshift quarters there, but we still have our own house. That's also where I first woke up as Allari. I'm about to hide there for now.

To quell his sadness, I pulled Servan into a hug.

I couldn't tell him the reason. That I was running away from the tower out of fear that Alistair may come to meet me anytime after reading my letter.

He was suspicious of me the first time we met.

Can a single letter change his mind about me?

"Anyway, make sure to take your meals on time." My brother told me for the nth time. "My plate is presently full with matters concerning the tower so I can't accompany you home, but I'll visit soon."

With that, I left the tower with a heavy heart.

Even Haniel doesn't know about my departure.

I made sure to leave on a day when he was called to the palace by the emperor, and I could already picture him sighing deeply once he learns of my retreat. He gave me an opportunity to reconnect with Alistair, but I wasted that chance and fled.

Seriously, I'm nothing but a coward.

Anyway, my journey on the carriage was bumpy. Every second made me anxious, and I just wanted to get away from the tower as soon as possible.

It will take at least a week to travel from the capital to the tower, and it's been days since Haniel delivered my letter to the grand duke.

If he truly intends to meet me, then he should arrive in the tower soon, that's why I left now.

I still don't have the heart to meet him.

I'm sorry, Haniel.

The carriage suddenly halted.

I kept the hood of my cloak over my head before cautiously peeking from the window. To my shock, it was a knight who had stopped my coachman.

A Lohefalter knight, that is.

I can't be mistaken. On his armour was a badge with a shield and a crimson butterfly. I easily recognized the symbol of the Averill duchy.

Moreover, the knight was somebody I knew.

"We are currently in search for someone. She's a blonde mage who had just left the tower. Would you allow me to confirm the passenger's identity?"

The ironclad knight spoke sternly while eyeing my carriage. His brown hair and notable freckles made me reminisce the few times that I met him.