Chapter 72: Family

CALLISTA

Money can't buy happiness, they say.

But when I buy my sister an expensive plushie of her favorite cartoon character, I see the way her face brightens. She was simply a child, after all.

That's not all. When I bring home burgers from her favorite fastfood chain, she gets all giddy.

Once I had some spare change, I bought us tickets to the amusement park. She looked so marveled and moved, like it was a whole new world for her.

They say that money can't buy happiness, but I beg to disagree. In order to make my little sister happy, I need money. Lots, so she would live in comfort.

Ruth Alessia Narra.

My dearest little sister, Runa.

"Big sis!" she chirped. "Fly away!"

A small smile dawned on my face as I watched my sibling raise her tiny arms. Whenever she asks to be picked up, Runa says that she wants to fly away.

I gently carried my little sister, extra mindful of her small and delicate body. As she snuggled into my arms, I couldn't help but wonder... How can someone be so blameless, lovely, and pure?

"Look, big sis..." She took out a paper from her pocket and unfolded it. "I drew this for you!"

It was a sketch of her favorite flower.

A Camellia.

"It's my favorite flower, but you can have it." Runa giggled. "Because I love you so, so much~ Hehe!"

Her words brought tears into my eyes.

I wish I could tell her that I love her too, but my nonexistent voice prevented me from doing so.

Often times, I felt guilty for not being able to give her a normal family. After all, she neither had a mother nor a father like other children her age.

She only had me, a mute and illiterate sister.

Even at this moment when my dear Runa craves for attention, the best I can do is to embrace her in my arms and shower her with kisses. I could only hope that she understands what it actually means.

That I love her, even more than myself.

That I'm willing to dedicate all of me to her.

---

And so, I spent my whole life making sure that my beloved sister lives a comfortable life, if not lavish.

Unfortunately, I never had the privilege to pursue education. I didn't know how to read or write, so my options for employment were very limited.

Thus, I could only do physical labor like cleaning or running errands; jobs that don't require you to be smart. You only need to have enough common sense, like knowing how to use a broom to clean.

On a side note, I suppose you should also know how to clench your teeth... because that's the only thing you can do when people treat you like dirt.

"Get out of my sight, you useless cunt!"

For instance, when my employer throws a fit and douses me with water, I can only clench my teeth. I have no right to complain, because I am stupid.

I don't know how to read. How am I supposed to know the difference between a catsup and a hot sauce when they're both red? It's too complicated for me. I can't even spell my own name, you know.

"For heaven's sake, just fire this dumb bitch already! Why is my mother keeping you here when you can't even get one damn thing right?!"

Why, she asks? Oh, I knew the answer to that.