Chapter 8. Special Treatment

Have you ever experienced a moment where all your senses stop functioning and you just stand there, distrait and unable to think straight?

That's what happened to me. Even though my eyes were perfectly fine and I could clearly see Alistair in front of me, I just seemed to have lost my grip on reality. He was also mouthing some words, but his voice wasn't getting through me at all.

A sudden realisation knocked me out of my wits.

I'm going to die again. For the second time.

"Isabelle!"

The Grand Duke's voice taut with panic and worry got me back into my senses. When I lifted my gaze to him, confusion was written all over his face.

I blinked consecutive times. "Your Grace,"

"What's the matter? Your face suddenly blanched." He placed a hand on my forehead. "Are you sick?"

The warmth of his hand helped me calm down. Clutching my dress with both hands, I took a deep breath to settle down. There's no need to be afraid.

I already died once, didn't I?

"I apologise for showing you something unsightly, Your Grace." I wiped the sweat off my temple. "I think it's because I've been cooped up inside the palace all week, so I feel kind of suffocated."

The Grand Duke covered his mouth with one hand as he drowned in cogitation. A few seconds later, he returned to his desk and searched his stuff.

"Ah, looks like I'm running out of ink. I should go out to buy some." Alistair cleared his throat rather pretentiously then shot me a sideward glance. "Do you want to accompany me to town, Isabelle?"

My lips parted. Since I just told him that I've been cooped up here all week, is he being considerate by taking me outside with him? Ah, this is bad.

At this rate, I might misunderstand.

"If it's okay with you, I'd love to." I shyly replied.

The Grand Duke simply smiled to me then shifted his gaze to the door. "Louie, we're going out."

An ironclad knight entered the room. He seemed young, probably around his twenties. A man with brown hair and average looks, but the Lohefalter crest on his chest made him more charismatic than he's supposed to be. Oops, was that mean?

"This is Louie, my personal knight. Regrettably, he's a bit dumb... but his skill with the sword is second to none so you can trust him with your life." Alistair introduced him.

"Nice to meet you, Sir Louie." I smiled to him politely. "Isabelle, a maid from the Sun Palace."

"The pleasure is mine." Sir Louie curtly nodded to me before turning to his master. "Why are we taking her with us?"

Alistair shrugged. "Because she's my maid."

"But she's blonde. I thought you hated blondes?"

"I changed my mind." Alistair glanced over me then grinned. "Blonde hair is, in fact, beautiful."

"That's ridiculous." Sir Louie shook his head in disbelief. "You used to snarl at every blonde girl you came across with, like a dog ready to bite."

"Well, I'm even more willing to bite now." Alistair stared at me then smirked. "But this time, not out of anger... if you know what I mean, hmm?"

Oh, my god. He's such a big flirt!

I cleared my throat to lessen the awkwardness. Sir Louie, on the other hand, was dumbfounded by his master's wanton remarks. He even blushed.