Chapter 22. Trust

"Even though you're a grand duke, isn't it a bit mean of you to accuse me right on my face?"

The familiar ceiling before my eyes brought me a sense of relief, as it confirmed that I was back to my room in the palace. I must have passed out.

That aside, the voice that woke me up belonged to Lady Camellia. Although calm and unfazed, she seemed offended by the one she's talking to. Who?

She mentioned the grand duke. Is it Alistair?

"I apologise if my words have caused you offence." Indeed, it was Alistair. "However, I am inclined to believe that Isabelle was mistaken as Dion's lover."

"So you are implying that I ordered that attack? That's quite a serious accusation, Your Grace."

"Because you have all the reason to harm Lady Marchetti. You feel threatened by her." Alistair pointed out. "I know you find her an eyesore."

I lost the right timing to wake up, so I opted not to move and pretended to be asleep. Jesus, why are they arguing in my room... Go fight elsewhere.

Lady Camellia chuckled dryly. "Why would I feel threatened by a mere commoner? I am a duke's daughter. I was prepared for this moment all my life. You could even say that I was born for this.

"I possess the beauty, prestige, and status to be fitting as the crown princess. What makes you think I'd feel threatened by a child who's barely stepped into high society, Grand Duke Averill?"

Silence ensued between the two. I could not see it, but I could feel them staring daggers at each other.

The grand duke broke the silence first.

"But there is one thing she has that you do not."

"What might that be? Enlighten me, Your Grace."

Alistair snickered. "His Highness' heart, my lady."

It felt like Lady Camellia's patience just snapped.

"I do not covet his heart! You are sorely mistaken if you think I desire to be the crown princess!" Her voice erupted. "And even if I wished to be Prince Dion's betrothed, I have no need for his heart!"

This is bad. She's pissed off.

"In the end, he is still a hatchling under the wings of his father, and the decision will still be for the emperor to make!" she exclaimed further.

It was my first time seeing the villainess lose her cool. Gone was her usual calm and collected demeanor. At the moment, she was a feral cat ready to pounce on the grand duke anytime.

"If His Majesty deems me worthy of the crown, then I shall become the future empress, regardless of whom His Highness decides to offer his heart!"

I was afraid for things to escalate so I instantly got up from my bed, like a corpse who arose from the coffin. The two of them were startled by me.

"Now, now. Stop fighting, children." I pulled them both, like a mother forcing her kids to make up.

"We aren't fighting." The grand duke remarked nonchalantly. "This is a healthy discussion."

"Really?" I eyed Lady Camellia, whose anger had yet to subside. "That doesn't seem to be the case."

"Your lover is an aggravating man, Isabelle." Her bluish eyes glared at the grand duke. "He knows very well how to poke into someone's weakness."

Both Alistair and I tightly shut our mouths. I then spanked his ass and widened my eyes, urging him to apologise. He frowned, but still did it anyway.

"I apologise, Lady Camellia." The grand duke smirked. "I may have touched a sore spot."