Chapter 17. Willing Lips

People are afraid of things they don't understand.

But to me, despite not knowing what in the world goes inside the head of Alistair Kirsten de Averill, I wasn't afraid at all. I was even more drawn to him, like a moth foolishly headed into the flame.

"The day I claim your lips will also be the day my dreams come true." The grand duke said earnestly.

Always spouting lascivious words, yet also making sure not to lay his hands on me. That was his deal. I still don't know if I should label it as love or lust.

"If you're so concerned about my health, then cure this sexual frustration as you call it, Isabelle."

I halted from my tracks and turned to him. Maybe I should just use this guy to my advantage? When it comes to me, he seems like a total pushover.

"Okay, if you help me with something... I'll let you kiss me once, Your Grace." I shamelessly proposed.

He gave me a disbelieving look.

"For real." I wiggled my brows, as if tempting him.

"Hmm." He eyed me. "How can I help you?"

"I'm looking for someone. Help me find him. His name is Kaja, a son of a blacksmith in the capital."

He was slightly taken aback.

"I just need to bring you to him?" Alistair blinked twice. "And then you will let me ravish your lips?"

I coughed in embarrassment. Dude, do you really need to say it that way? You and your dirty mouth.

"If you bring me to him, yes." I cleared my throat.

The next thing I knew, Alistair was dragging me along with him. He seemed to be in a good mood, since he kept on humming as we walked hand in hand. Wait. Does he really know who Kaja is?!

Shortly, I got my answer when we arrived at a blacksmith bordering the slums and the commercial part of the capital. My companion didn't even knock and just stormed inside.

"Garet." The grand duke called the bald man who was busy forging near the fire. "This lady here has some business with your son. Can he spare time?"

My jaw dropped. He really brought me to him!

"Your Grace!" The stout blacksmith called Garet exchanged pleasantries with Alistair before calling his son. "Kaja, there's some lass looking for you!"

I groaned. "How do you even know him?!"

"Let's just say that we're business partners."

Damn it, I've been had!

The grand duke leaned closer to my ear then whispered. "Do not forget my reward, hm?"

Had I asked him first if he knew about Kaja, the grand duke would have helped me even without me promising anything in return. I'm so stupid!

While I was reprimanding myself, a burly man came out of the room. He must be Kaja. Contrary to my imagination, he had thick hair, his skin was sunburned, and his body was veiny and muscular.

"What do you need from me?" he asked.

I bowed to him. "I'm here to tell you that the lady of the Camellia duchy wants to see you, Sir Kaja."

He gave me a perplexed look. "Did she say why?"

"No, she didn't disclose the reason, Sir."

"Then tell the lady I don't wanna." Kaja said in a petulant manner. "If she needs something from me, she better come to me herself. These nobles, always ordering us around like we're dogs..."