Chapter 34. Crossing Paths

In truth, Ruth Alessia di Camellia would've been a great protagonist of her own reincarnation story.

She originated from another world and got reborn as a duke's daughter while keeping the memories of her previous life intact. A woman who would do everything in her power to survive, even if it meant killing the heroine with her own hands.

She was beautiful, strong-willed, and wise.

However, she was morally corrupted with no sense of companionship. Even a dog would be more loyal than her. She's that kind of person.

"Huh?" Ruth blurted out in disbelief.

For a moment, the villainess was at a loss of words. It was my first time seeing the genuine look of surprise on her face while staring at me.

Still, she's the meek yet calculating Ruth. With her bluish white hair and azure eyes, I would always describe her as somewhat comparable to the sea.

Calm on the surface, but dangerous deep down.

"I see. I understand now." Once she recovered from her shock, Ruth smiled knowingly. "With that face, of course he'd act so out of character."

The grand duchess snickered at me.

"Fortunately, my husband is sensible man. He's not one to be swayed by something like this."

Ruth rubbed her chin while scanning my face.

"Indeed, the resemblance is uncanny. That face certainly brings back memories." She grinned in amusement. "Heh. The dead should just stay in their graves. Why do they have to haunt us?"

My fists clenched at her insulting words.

"Hm? Why aren't you saying anything?" she asked.

"G-Grand Duchess, with all due respect, Allari is someone unable to speak." One of the mages answered nervously on my behalf.

"Oh? You're mute." The villainess tried to hide her smile by covering her mouth. "My, how pitiful."

Even so, despite the impervious facade that she's showing right now, the fact that Ruth was saying such provocative words was proof that she feels threatened right now. She's someone who asserts her dominance when faced with a formidable foe.

That gave me a little bit of confidence.

Since I don't have the capability to talk, I opted to use the sketchpad I recently started to utilize for communication. All of them watched expectantly as I jotted down my words on the paper.

This lowly mage doesn't understand, Your Grace.

I feigned innocence while flashing my sketchpad.

Did you come all the way here just to meet me?

A condescending smirk then crossed my face.

It seems the grand duchess is quite insecure.

All my colleagues held their breath in that tense situation. Only the villainess read what I wrote, thus they had no idea between our exchange.

She remained unfazed. "Me? Insecure?"

If you aren't, then does it mean that Grand Duke Averill is simply untrustworthy? Which one is it?

To my shock, her palm landed across my cheek.

Wait. Did she just slap me?