Chapter 23. Desires

Relationships are often likened to glasses. Once they've had a crack, it's impossible to get it back to the way it used to be, and that was one of my greatest fears when it came to her ladyship.

I didn't want to be hated by the villainess, Ruth Alessia di Camellia, who's also a transmigrator.

Originating from another world like me, I felt the most affinity with her. I thought we'd understand each other better than anyone else, since we share the same fate and fears in this foreign world.

"You're free to do whatever you wish, Isabelle."

"What do you mean, my lady?"

"I am saying that you can cease from being my maid." Lady Camellia was back to her indolent ways, slumped on the couch without motivation.

A few days have passed since the lady's outburst and our little argument, but I didn't know why she was suddenly disposing me like some rubbish.

"Why are you throwing me away like this?"

"Because you are much too foolhardy, my dear." she responded, her eyes still closed. "You almost murdered someone for me, have you forgotten?"

"That was out of my loyalty for you!" I reasoned.

"I know, Isabelle." The villainess opened her eyes and stared intently at me. "That is why this vile master is giving you the chance to run away."

I was taken aback. Is she concerned about me?

"The grand duke was right about your devotion towards me." She let out a heavy sigh. "I'm afraid you'd put yourself in more perils just for my sake."

I frowned. "That's all up to me, my lady."

"Isabelle," Lady Camellia got up from her seat then walked up to me. "You also came from another world, so I feel kinship with you the most."

She touched a few strands of my hair.

"Let me tell you this, though. What you feel isn't loyalty, but simply an attachment." The villainess postulated. "Specifically, an attachment towards someone who came from the same world as you."

I was about to mutter a reply when Lady Camellia placed her index finger on my lips. M-Mommy?! Okay, I'm just kidding. That's kinda messed up.

"You're holding onto me like how a child clings to her mother, because I'm the only one familiar to you in this world." Confirmed. Mommy, indeed.

I clicked my tongue. "So, what's your point?

"That rather than loyalty, you merely fear the idea of being entirely alone in this place." she asserted.

"My lady, it seems you're getting the wrong idea." I circled my hand around her wrist. "I chose you as my master because I thought I'd have a bigger chance of surviving by your side. It has nothing to do with you being a transmigrator or a milf."

Lady Camellia blinked twice. "What?"

"What?" I gawked at her. Did I just say milf?

Both of us were stupefied at that moment. After a few seconds, Lady Camellia and I guffawed at the silliness of our conversation. What the heck...

"See? Who else would laugh at my modern jokes if not you, my lady?" I smiled rather sentimentally.

She shook her head, smiling. "I suppose so."

After that, our eyes met intently, like enthusiasts marveled by artworks in the museum. It felt like both of us were just truly appreciative of each other's existence in that exact moment.