Chapter 41. The Way I Love You

And so, the ducal couple finally left the tower.

That was a huge load off my shoulders. With the villainess gone, I won't have to worry about our safety and any potential attacks, at least for now.

"We should not be complacent. It's far from over." Haniel hinted while slouched on the chair in front of me. "They'll come back for my precious heart."

Out of curiosity, I raised a certain query to him.

Why do you have the devil's heart, anyway?

"Well, it is traditionally passed down to the next master of the tower." He casually explained. "The strongest mage of the current generation, that is."

When I glanced over him, there was a smug look on his face, like a cat waiting to be doted on by his owner. So, is he indicating that he's the strongest?

I gave him an unimpressed look.

"Anyway," Haniel faked a cough. "The devil's heart makes me immune from sorcery. That's why I'm the only one who's able to handle black magic."

Well, power and responsibility goes hand in hand.

After the grand duke's company departed from the tower, I focused all my attention on work. I stayed cooped up in our quaint lab, creating potions for the imperial army and testing out emerging cures.

Haniel, who seemed to have too much time on his hands, spent most of his days loitering around in our department. He was, surprisingly, an indolent man in nature and too lazy to do actual field work.

"As I thought," The black-haired mage rested his chin on the table. "Something did happen, huh?"

I flinched. Why does he have to be so sharp?

"You've been making potions nonstop like you're out to heal the entire human race." He said with palpable curiosity. "I know you're not that kind to be saving the whole world, so this must be a way to distract yourself. What's the matter, Callie?"

I furiously wrote down on my sketchpad.

What do you mean I'm not that kind?!

I made a cute face by batting my eyes and pouting my lips, a lousy attempt to change the subject.

Aren't I such a kind sweetheart?

Haniel stared at me blankly, as if my charming didn't work on him at all. Shortly, he snickered.

"Being cute and being kind are different." Haniel rubbed his chin. "By the way, don't make that face towards anyone else. Too cute for your own good."

My cheeks flushed. Seriously, what am I doing...

He stood up from his seat then made a turn to my spot. Haniel thoughtlessly sat on the table in front of me then leaned closer to me. "So, what's up?"

At first, I didn't want to disclose him the truth, but then Haniel was giving me such a soft gaze that it melted my heart. I could feel his genuine concern.

So I gave in and told him everything, about the conversation between Alistair and Ruth, about how the grand duke finally bade me his goodbye.

The whole time, Haniel never interrupted me and he listened quietly. From time to time, he would rub my cheek whenever I was on the verge of crying, a gesture offering me consolation.

When I finished telling him all of it, he spoke.

"Stupid," Haniel breathed a deep sigh.

My jaw dropped. That's the first thing he says?!