Chapter 50. Treacherous Summer

HANIEL CALYPSO ASTANA

As the saying goes, you can know a promising tree from when it's a baby tree. That was true, at least for me, an orphan who demonstrated a flair for magic at an early age and was declared a prodigy.

Thus, after stumbling into a noble's territory and surviving in a forest full of magical beasts, my life changed. The count saw my talent and took me in.

That was the start of my journey as the strongest.

"I'd like to unearth the truth behind this corpse."

"Haniel," My father massaged his own temples, obviously stressed out by my words. "Can't you just stay still in the tower, you intrepid brat?"

I shook my head. "I would die out of boredom."

"Ha, I give up." Count Astana waved his hand dismissively. "Do as you please. Just don't die."

"Of course," I smiled. "Who do you think I am?"

Growing up as a genius, very few people understand how lonely it is at the top.

I lived a nondescript life in the tower. I learned too fast. I improved too fast. I got strong too fast.

No one could keep up with me. So while everyone was busy working hard to climb, I was alone at the top, waiting for all of them to catch up.

Which means I had too much time on my hands.

And I had nothing better to do. My life was dull.

Until I came across that corpse in the forest, who cursed itself to death while holding onto a letter.

For the first time in my life, I was intrigued.

When I left my father's office, I spent the next hour idling in the glades of the Forest of Silla.

Beside me was the coffin that I customized to store the cursed corpse. I also got the mysterious letter on my hands. I have read it many times, but I just can't get enough of it. I was dying out of curiosity.

 I was dying out of curiosity

"What a brave lady." I blurted out in admiration.

In my case, it was probably love at first read.

In my hands was a letter written by a woman whom I have never even seen before. This was her declaration of love for the man she liked.

I was moved by the weight of her love, which remained immovable even in the face of death.

Before I knew it, I found myself thinking of her all night, wondering about the colour of her eyes, the shape of her lips, and the stature of her body. She was like a dream that I kept chasing so foolishly.

I had longed to see her every single day.

I was often euphoric at the thought of meeting her for the very first time, the same way I was dispirited each time I failed to find the lady.