Chapter 23

(Part 1)

The first thing Zhao Zhanhuai did when he got home was to call his mother to the study room and briefly explain the situation to her.

His mother was skeptical. "Auntie Zhang has been working for us for so many years. She has always been an obedient one. Mingxi has only been in our home for two years, what could she possibly have against her? Was your secretary mistaken?"

When Zhao Zhanhuai recalled how firm Mingxi was when she threw away the photograph, a gush of courage emerged and he said to his mother, "Then let's get everyone to testify their version of events."

Aside from the nanny Auntie Zhang, there was another hourly maid, a chef, a driver and a gardener working in the Zhao family villa.

Zhang Yufen had no idea that the first thing Zhao Zhanhuai did when he got home was to call Madam Zhao to the study room. Then, he ordered everyone aside from herself to go to the study room as well.

She only knew that after these people came out, they all could not help but to look at her.

"What happened?" For some reason, Zhang Yufen felt a sense of foreboding.

Everyone avoided her.

The hourly maid whom she never really had a great relationship with looked at her with an odd gleam in her eyes. She said, "I hope you sought enough blessings for yourself."

As Zhao Mingxi only got here two years ago, the Zhao family's explanation to them was that due to Zhao Mingxi's poor health, she was always living in the countryside. Now that she is 15 years old, they feel like it was about time she came home.

No one thought much of it. After all, they only started to work here a few years ago, so they had no say in the Zhao family's internal affairs.

However, Zhang Yufen was different from them. Zhang Yufen has been in the Zhao family for years. She was a long-time worker. She often flaunted her seniority and advantage of having taken care of Zhao Yuan for many years.

When she saw how the Zhao family had to share half the attention they used to spend on Zhao Yuan on Zhao Mingxi, Zhang Yufen often felt unjust on behalf of Zhao Yuan.

Nonetheless, she never did anything extreme save for the few times she gave her the cold eye and said a few passive aggressive words.

There was one time when Zhao Mingxi wanted to talk about this, but as she could not produce any evidence of Zhang Yufen treating her badly, she could only let it slide.

As for the other workers, they all felt that Zhang Yufen was a senior, hence there was no need for them to go against her. Therefore it was impossible for them to report this to the Zhao family.

Furthermore, none of the members of the Zhao family noticed anything amiss.

Who would've thought that this was what Zhao Zhanhuai purposely came home to ask about?

Zhang Yufen immediately understood what was going on, but she didn't take it to heart. She even said to that hourly maid, "What's the big deal? Even if they know that I don't treat Miss Mingxi well, what will they do? There's no way they would fire me just because of such a small matter, right? At most they would only give me a short lecture."

The hourly maid gave her a dissatisfied look before knocking on the door to the study room and entering.

Although she disliked her, she felt like she made a fair point.

It was just her attitude problem. Zhang Yufen has been working in the Zhao family home for so many years, everyone in the Zhao family respected her, so there was no way that just because of this small matter...