Nineteen

Zoey Christian

I was trying so hard to convince Becky, Brendon and Ashley that the plan was still happening and that we were all BFF's, but I could only go on for so long. I felt like Becky was starting to become suspicious and catch onto what was really happening. I mean, the girl was practically interrogating me.

Just then, my phone went off, notifying me that someone had texted me and I did not care who it was but I needed to get out of here.

When I unlocked my phone, the text read:

Hanna <3 :

Hey, heard you were at the diner with the losers so I'm here to save you! My car's right outside. Hurry before they recognize me. :)

Hanna was honestly the answer to my prayers right now. I replied to her text really quickly, hoping Ashley, Becky and Brendon couldn't see who I was texting. I tried to make it seem like I was texting Brad, plastering a goofy, but fake smile on my face, so they knew I was texting him but not too into it.

Me:

THANK GOD! Be out in a few seconds! :)

"Shoot! I have to go guys, so sorry! Rain check on the lunch date? Thanks! Bye!" I said quickly before jumping up from my seat and bolting out the door. As soon as I was right outside the diner doors, I saw Hanna's silver Benz pull up a little and she honked her horn, waving at me from the driver's seat. I waved back and smiled and quickly got in, hoping no one saw who was picking me up.

As soon as I was in the car, Hanna immediately took off, not leaving a chance to be identified. I mean, I didn't really care for what other people thought, unless they were Becky, Ashley and Brendon. For all I knew, they thought I was seeing Brad again.

"Thank God you showed up! I don't know how much longer I could've dealt talking to that bitch I used to call my friend and her loser boyfriend and third wheel best friend."

"Haha, don't kill me. What even happened to make you like this?" Hanna said, flipping her short, blonde hair back as she laughed at my annoyance.

"Well, I lost track of time because I was 'playing video games' with Brad and forgot I had this stupid lunch date with the losers. When I showed up, we were talking about that stupid plan we had come up with to give Brad a taste of his own medicine. Becky was asking what had been happening between us - to fill them in in all the juicy deets - but I really didn't feel like sharing so I kept it brief on how I had changed him into boyfriend material and how soon I'd be able to move on to getting close to Blake so I could drop Brad for Blake. I guess they all started getting suspicious, reminding me that I'm not 'actually dating Brad', it's just a part of the plan. Becky practically started interrogating me the minute she got suspicious. They even asked about that day you approached me." I said, ranting to Hanna as she drove along the road to her house - sorry - mansion.

"Wow. They just won't stop will they? They are so determined to ruin Brad's life, and they had to put you in the middle of it. What did you even say when they brought me up?"

"I made up some BS of how I pretended to play along with you being all friendly because everyone hated you and I had no friends so you were just looking for someone to relate to. They didn't buy it at first but when I reminded them of the situation we had created, things started to make sense for them."

The rest of the ride was just silence - minus the radio playing whatever was the latest hit of the week.

A few minutes later, we finally arrived and as we got out of the car, I said, "I still can't believe this is where you live!" slamming the car door behind me.