Twenty Five

Becky Adams

Brendon and I were cuddled up on the couch watching the latest episode of America's Next Top Model. Well, I was, Brendon was just sitting there. He wanted to watch "The Flash", but I got to the remote first. Besides it was my house.

Ashley and Zac had somehow decided to get back together, so they sat on the other couch, cuddled up like Brendon and I. I needed a little double date to get all of this drama out of my head.

"Rebecca, would you like anything to eat or drink?" my mom asked from the kitchen.

"You guys want anything?" I asked.

"Pizza?" Zac suggested.

"What about wings?" Brendon asked.

"Fries?" Ashley said.

Mom heard everything and decided to call our favourite pizza place and order in for us.

Once America's Next Top Model was over, we all went upstairs to my room and started playing cards against humanity. I really should've been doing my psychology paper, but it was the weekend and I just needed to relax.

A few minutes later, I could hear the doorbell ring and my face lit up like a light bulb because the food had finally arrived. We hadn't waited too long, but I was starving.

Something felt off when the door opened and closed and there were no sounds. It was just silent. Brendon, Ash, and Zac were all laughing and continuing with the game but all the fun ended the minute I shushed them.

"Becks, is everything okay?" Brendon asked, rubbing my thigh in comfort.

"Shh. I'll be right back." I told him, slowly standing up. Of course, being the protective hulk man guy that he was, he followed right behind me, not letting go of my hand. I kind of didn't want to let go either, so it was ok.

Brendon and I made our way downstairs and I started calling for my mom, but there was no answer. I started to get worried.

By the time Brendon and I got to the front door, the door opened, shocking me a little bit. Brendon's grip on my hand tightened after my little jump. It was my mom with the pizza. Relief flushed throughout my entire body and I could relax. I could feel Brendon stroking the inside of my hand with his thumb. That was his way of telling me things were okay without having to say anything. It was probably the most comforting thing in the world.

"Mom, is everything okay? I mean it can't take that long to pick up food. Plus you don't need to leave the house to get it..."

"That...That was your father Rebecca. He found a job in the area and he's living in a halfway home until he has enough money to rent an apartment. Don't worry, I'm fine; we're fine. He's stable and getting better." my mom said. I could tell there was more so I stayed silent hoping she'd tell me everything.

"He asked if he could stay here until he could find a place of his own, but I told him no because I know how you feel about him and I don't want to put you through anything like that ever again." she finished.

As glad as I was that she rejected him, I kind of felt bad that he's been going through things like this. I mean yeah, he was a drunk and tried to kill my mom and then probably me, but he had gotten the help he needed, and was trying to turn his life around.

"Is everything okay sweetheart?" my mom asked, knowing I was contemplating the situation.

"I just feel bad. I mean, he shouldn't be going through what he is right now. I know what he did in the past was very wrong, but if he's trying this hard, something must've worked at Laguardia right?"