Thirty Nine

Becky Adams

What felt like 20 cups later, I found myself on the dance floor doing it up with Ashley; letting loose and just having a good time. With everything I had been through this year, this may have been the first time I was actually having fun in a very long time. My life had become such a roller coaster up until this moment. I was just cruising and enjoying the ride.

Once the song was over, Ashley and I bent over, hands on our knees as we attempted to catch our breath. We decided to take a little dance break and make our way over to the couch where a bunch of people were sitting. I saw Brendon there in the crowd and suddenly something got caught in my throat. 

Would it be awkward? Would he say anything? Should I?

All these thoughts were running through my head, but I decided to push them all away and pretend like everything was fine.

"Hey guys!" Ashley greeted as we got there and plopped our butts on the two empty sections of the couch.

"Becky are you okay?" Brendon asked, sounding genuinely concerned.

"Why wouldn't I be?" I said with laughter and joy.

"Are you drunk?" he asked.

"This is a party isn't it?"

"But you're driving!"

"Okay dad! Relax. Hanna said we could stay here if we needed to."

"And since when were you and Hanna so close?"

"Did someone say my name?" Hanna shouted as she made her way to where we were sitting. Zoey stood next to her not saying a word. She just stood there looking cute.

No one said anything.

"I think it's time to play a little game to liven you guys up jeez!" Hanna suggested.

"Right Zoey?" she added. Zoey nodded in response with a smirk on her face. I wasn't sure where things were going but I needed anything to get my mind off of Brendon and the gut-wrenching news in the back of my head.

"I'm down!" I said. Suddenly everyone was down and ready to play whatever game Hanna had in mind.

"I'm sure you're all familiar with the game Never Have I Ever..." Hanna began as she took a seat.

"...But what I have in mind has a little twist. If you've done something that others haven't, you have to explain the story in full detail. If you refuse to tell, you have to do a dare made up by yours truly. Is everyone ready?" she finished.

By 'yours truly' of course she meant herself. I didn't know if I was fully comfortable with the idea, but I didn't have much to lose anyways. The schools knew a lot about me and Hanna at this point. What else could they find out?

"I'll go first. Never have I ever been caught masturbating by my parents." Hanna started. Lo and behold, all the guys took a drink. Everyone immediately laughed. Once the laughter died down, all the guys went around telling their embarrassing stories.

A few rounds had gone by and a few guys and girls were out. The only people left were me, Zoey, Hanna, Ashley, Brendon, Brad and Zack. How convenient.

"Zack it's your turn." Hanna said.

"Never have I ever kept a secret from anyone." Zoey, Hanna, Brad and I all took a drink. Zoey and Hanna were officially out. Ashley, Brendon, and Brad all went around saying what secret they had kept until it was finally my turn. I had kept plenty of secrets and could've easily chosen a less serious one to reveal, but I just kept thinking about how I was keeping something from Brendon. So I just kept sitting there in silence.