Two

Becky Adams

As he casually walked in the room to find his seat, my eyes never left him; from the doorway to his seat, I was watching him, and Ashley and Zoey noticed too.

He hadn't recognized me when he walked in, but he had definitely made eye contact with me.

Strange...I thought.

"Psst! Becky! Is that who I think it is?" Ashley whsipered to me.

I nodded in reply. "Yeah, I mean I think it is..." I said unsurely.

Both Ashley and Zoey looked at me with a puzzled look on their faces.

"When he walked in, we made eye contact and I thought for sure my life was gonna be messed up, but he didn't even recognize me..." I explained.

Maybe he was looking in my direction and not at me...I thought.

With that in mind, I decided to casually 'drop' my pencil by him, hoping he would pick it up and give it to me. This would give him the chance to actually look at me.

I dropped my pencil, pretended like I didn't even notice and saw that he had reached for it to give it to me.

He turned around to look at me to give me the pencil. "Hey, is this yours?" he asked.

"Oh! Yeah, I think it is." I replied.

He handed me the pencil and that was that. He actually didn't recognize me.

Just when I was going to confront him about it, Ms. Stevenson walked in to take attendance and briefly talk about the school year. Once she finished, we were dismissed and headed out the door for 1st period.

I wanted to approach him so I could talk to him, I even shouted his name, but he was already gone. On the bright side, I had the rest of the semester to talk to him.

Fuck my life.

Thank God I had drama 1st period. It would give me the chance to relax and get my mind off of this whole situation. When I walked in, I noticed him in the room, in my seat.

Our drama teacher, Mrs. Reynolds, assigned us seats so that we could mingle with people we weren't typically close with; she wanted us to use our dramatic skills to get to know our peers.

"Here goes nothing" I mumbled to myself.

I walked over to him, tapped him on the shoulder and waited for him to turn around.

I smiled when he did and he simply said, "Can I help you?"

"Actually yes, that seat is mine."

"Oh? And is your name on it?"

"Actually, yes it is." I pointed to the back of the seat, where my name had been written.

"Shit, my bad." he said as he got up from my seat.

Once he was off my seat, I sat down and dropped my stuff on the floor next to the chair, but he just stood there, looking at me so I stared back.

"I'm Brendon." he said with a smile as he brought out his hand for me to shake it.

"I know." I said.

"How?" He asked with a puzzled look on his face.

"Um...we kinda dated..." I said awkwardly.

He just stared at me and I knew I had to jog his memory somehow. There was no way he completely forgot about our relationship.

I grabbed his hand and directed him out the door so we could go to our locker.