Eight

Becky Adams

Brendon and I hopped into my jeep right after school, but for some reason I felt like I was forgetting something. I sat in the driver's seat wondering what I could possibly be forgetting, if I was forgetting anything at all.

"Hey are you ok?"

"Yeah, why?" I said zombie-like, staring straight ahead of me.

"Because you haven't started the car. You're just sitting there blankly staring into space."

"Oh! My bad. I just, I feel like I'm forgetting something; I feel like I was supposed to do something but I didn't."

"maybe forgot something in your locker?" Brendon suggested.

I simply nodded and got out of my car and went back inside the school, hoping this would clear my mind.

When I got inside, I started walking to my locker. When I got there and I unlocked it, a note came falling out the minute I swung the door open.

"What the hell?" I said out loud.

I bent down to pick up the note and when I opened it, it read:

Becky,

I-I thought you were different. But clearly you never wanted anything to do with me so I'm done. I think it's best if we stay away from each other. I'll go back to my lifestyle and you go back to yours. I just want you to know I dropped drama because it's just too weird. I can't. I'm done Becky.

Goodbye, Brad

What the actual fuck? How could Brad just leave me here, hanging up to dry? How could he be so selfish? If this course was a waste of his time, why would he take it in the first place? Why would he partner up with me just to drop me? I couldn't believe him! And to think, I actually might've had a thing for him. Well, not anymore.

I crumpled the paper up and tossed it in the trash as I slammed my locker shut and stormed away.

When I got back in the car, I slammed the door shut and just sat there, frustrated. I turned on the ignition and immediately took off.

"Becky you ok?"

"I'm fine!"

"No you're not. Talk to me Becks."

I noticed Mama's Diner up in the distance and ignored Brendon, heading towards it. When we arrived, I parked the car and got out and Brendon followed.

We got inside and sat across from each other at a booth in the back when he finally asked, "What are we doing here?"

"You wanted to talk. I thought the best place was here."

"Here?"

"Okay this isn't the best place but it was the closest and I'm starving."

He started laughing when I mentioned the being hungry part. He always found my need for food hilarious. I didn't know if it was the way I said things about food or just the fact that I was always hungry that made him laugh but he still laughed. It always made me feel a bit better if I was in a bad mood; hearing his laugh, seeing his smile. It gave off a bubbly and happy personality, a carefree person who you could always be relaxed around; that was Brendon.

The waitress came by to take our orders a few minutes after sitting down.

"Hi, I'll take a cheeseburger and fries with a large coke." Brendon ordered.

"And for the lady?" the waitress asked.

"The lady will have a bacon burger with sweet potato fries, nachos and a large vanilla milkshake. Oh! And can I take some onion rings to go?" I said.