Post-Hunt Comfort

You wake up feeling groggy, yet better. You take in your surroundings slowly, noting the cold empty bed, your laptop beside you playing soothing music, and the lack of any other movement or sounds. As you sit up you notice the weapons bag is also gone, having left just your silver knife that Dean had gifted you with both of your initials engraved on the blade, and your gun on the nightstand for emergencies. Your stomach sinks realising they must've gone to hunt the nest on their own while you were sleeping. You knew Dean would be itching to get it over and done with so you could go back to the bunker and rest of your "worst-ever period" in comfort. But still, you wish he would've waited or at least let you know. That's when your eyes land on a folded note on your nightstand beside your gun.

Good evening my love,

I hope you slept well and are feeling better. I left a bowl of soup in the fridge for you, just heat it up and eat what you can. Also, help yourself to the chocolate that's in there too, and make sure to stay hydrated. Maybe even take a nice warm bath. Then cuddle with your new bunny. I made sure it's nice and soft and cuddly, just how you like.

Sam and I will be back as soon as we can. I love you.

Dean xx

Dean had never been the type to leave you letters, he was more the quick, shorthand text type. But you loved the letter and you planned to treasure it. You shut your laptop and then got up to follow his careful instructions.

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───

You start to stress when the sun goes down and you're still alone. You'd taken the time to do everything outlined in Dean's note, including having a nice long soak in the tub with the lavender bath bomb that you found sitting on the bathroom sink. Another thoughtful gift left by your fiancé no doubt. And you'd quite enjoyed yourself, you felt so relaxed and much better all around. But when you notice how dark it is outside all that relaxation drains away, replaced by the stress of wondering where the boys are and if they are even alive.

You clutch your new stuffed bunny to your chest as you sit on your bed waiting. You pick up your phone multiple times willing for them to call or text saying they are on their way. When you're not checking your phone, you're staring at the door, listening for the purr of that much comforting engine.

An hour passes and still nothing. You start to feel sick again; your stomach's in knots. Tears creep down your cheeks.

I can't do this alone. I can't do this alone.

Out of desperation and utter fear that the love of your life and his brother may actually be dead, you decide to pray to the one good angel you know.

Castiel, if you can hear me please bring my boys home safe. Please, I just need to know they're safe. Please protect them. I can't lose them. Please, Cass, bring my boys back to me.

You lose track of time as you continue to pray and cry for your boys. You don't know what time it is when Dean, Sam and Cass walk in. Dean's arms are around you within seconds, his lips leaving kisses all over your face and neck as he promises he's safe and apologises for scaring you.

"There were more than we anticipated, but it's okay. We're both okay. I'm okay. I'm right here, sweetheart. I promise we're gonna go home first thing in the morning. Back to the comfort and safety of the bunker, okay? Thanks for calling Cass, by the way. He's no substitute for your badass but he did save our asses, so thank you. You're always saving me."

You hug him even tighter, sobbing into his chest as he holds you just as tight. Dean takes a deep breath as he leans down to kiss along the exposed skin of your neck.