Comfort After a Nightmare

Back at Garth's place you and Dean unpack the groceries and then you go upstairs to check on the girls. You watch them playing with dolls from the doorway for a while before they notice you. When Destiny looks at you, you wander in and take a seat on the end of Gertie's bed.

"Hey girls, having fun?" you ask.

They both nod and then Destiny asks, "You get everything you need?"

"Yep. Dean and I will have plenty of human food to eat. Just let me know if you girls want lunch. I'll let you play." As you stand up you hear a little stomach growl. "Sounds like someone is hungry?" you ask as you look between them.

They both nod again. Your heart aches a little at how good they look as sisters and you question whether or not you will get to bring her home, even with Dean finally on board. "Yeah, I am hungry," Destiny says quietly.

"Me too!" Gertie adds.

"Alright then. Let's see if we can find you both something to eat. Come on."

The girls quickly pack up the dolls and then follow you downstairs to the kitchen where you find Bess already plating up some lunch.

"Have you girls washed up? We might be wolves but we still value hygiene," she adds looking at you. You smile as the girls run off to wash their hands in the bathroom. You stay and help Bess set the table and get lunch ready. You make sandwiches for yourself and Dean.

Once the table is set you ask the girls to get the men from the lounge for lunch and then you all sit down for another lovely meal.

Towards the end of the meal, you start to feel like an intruder in Garth and Bess's little wolf pack. Destiny fits in so well, opening up slowly about some of her memories which they can understand and relate to. Dean notices you zoning out and squeezes your knee under the table. You give him a small, forced smile and start to stack your dishes.

He leans over and whispers in your ear, "Whatever is best for her, remember. Be strong, Sweetheart."

You nod and pull away to take your dishes to the kitchen, trying your best not to interrupt the conversations. As you start to do the dishes, you feel a pair of arms wrap around your waist from behind.

"Don't hide in here. Just 'cause she's opening up, doesn't mean her mind is made up. You need to prepare yourself for it. But don't get too stressed or upset about it yet. Just give her a chance to adjust."

"Thanks, Dean. I love you."

"I love you too, Sweetheart. Need a hand?"

You nod your head in the direction of the tea towels and he helps you dry up.

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───

Later that night, you're snuggled up with Dean in the guest room bed. The house is quiet and peaceful. Everything feels uncharacteristically good for once as you lay on his chest, listening to his steady heartbeat. You eventually start to drift off, when you hear a soft knock at the door. You feel Dean's muscles instantly stiffen beneath you. You pat his chest and get up.

On the other side of the door, you find a startled Destiny. You kneel down to her height and pull her into a hug. "What's wrong Sweetie?"

"I-I had a nightmare."

You see the tears and hug her tighter. "Come here. You can stay with us tonight. And we're here if you wanna talk about it."

She shakes her head and grips onto your arms. You lead her to the bed where Dean is now sitting up watching the scene in front of him. He reaches down beside the bed and slips his T-shirt back on feeling very self-conscious and aware of the child crawling into his bed.