Finding Comfort in Trust

You park in the Bunker's garage and shut off the engine. You look over your shoulder at Dean and Destiny and smile.

"You okay?" you mouth to your husband. He nods. "Take her to our room. I'll chat to Sam and then give Bobby a call."

You get out and then open the back door for Dean. He carefully gets out, trying his best not to disturb the little girl drifting off in his arms. You peck his cheek and hers as he passes you. You close and lock the car and garage before following him out into the Bunker. You watch Dean disappear into your shared room as you turn to go into the library. Sam's eyes widen as he sees you standing in the doorway with your arms crossed over your chest.

He looks between you and the lady sitting across from him, who you assume must be Eileen, before finally gesturing for you to come in. "Eileen, this is my brother's wife, Y/N," he says being careful to enunciate every word for her to read his lips fully.

You smile and nod at her. "Nice to meet you. I'm so sorry, I promised I wouldn't disturb your night, but I need to steal Sam away for just a second."

Sam shakes his head without moving to stand up. "What's going on?"

You smile at Eileen as she bows her head and focuses on the book in front of her. "We think there may be other hunters in town. I'm not sure what they're hunting if they are, but we may have accidentally put a target on Destiny. She made a friend at the park, but I think she may have been a hunter's daughter. Which seemed great at first, until we remembered that to many our little girl is a monster."

"Did she tell you her parents are hunters?"

"Not exactly. It's just a gut feeling Dean has. She said they travel a lot because of her parents' work and are often left home alone. Would you have been able to sniff out a werewolf at five or six?"
"I was eight when Dean finally told me the truth about our lives. So, not at six. But Dean's life was different, I think he might've. So it depends what this girl's life is like."

"She said she has an older sister. So, we're, I'm hoping she's more like you. Innocent and oblivious for now. I love Destiny, Sam. I promised I'd keep her safe. And Dean and I bought a house. We're getting out. But..."

"Bobby knows way more hunters than we do, especially the family types."

"Yeah, he's my next call."

"Where's Dean? He's not out hunting hunters is he?"

"No, he's got a more important job right now. He's confined to the bedroom, 'cause I know he'll go all papa bear out there if I let him. But I just need to be sure first. I think we've managed to keep it all pretty quiet so far but if gets out there that we're protecting a werewolf..."

Out of instinct, Eileen looks up briefly just catching the last word on your lips. "Werewolf? Where?" she asks.

You look at Sam pleadingly.

"You trust me? I want to let you in on this, but I have to know I can trust you and you'll trust me. This isn't a hunt."

"What's going on, Sam?" She asks.

He looks up at you for permission. You look at Eileen sceptically and shake your head.
Sam nods and then looks at Eileen and reaches across the table for her hand. "I'm sorry, Eileen. This is a family issue."

"I understand."

You look at Eileen and sigh. "You're like us, right? You don't have any family left? But if you did you would protect them with everything you have, right?"

She nods. "Of course."

"Dean and I, our daughter is a werewolf."

"She got turned? I'm so sorry."

You decide not to correct her yet. "She's still our daughter and we have to protect her. She's not a monster. She's raised on animal hearts from the butcher. In every other way, she's a normal little girl. She's our little girl and we have to protect her. I'm trusting you to keep this to yourself. This information doesn't leave the Bunker. But if you know of any other hunters in town right now who may be trying to hunt her I need you to tell me."
"I hunt alone. Or I did before I met Sam. I'm sorry, I don't know. I didn't know there was anything to hunt here."

"Thanks. I hope Dean's wrong and we're panicking for nothing. Can you guys please just check and keep me posted?"

Sam and Eileen both nod. "Of course."

You nod. "I'm gonna call Bobby."

You walk into the kitchen and pull out your phone as you lean against the cold metal counter. You dial Bobby's number and hold your phone up to your ear as you listen to the dial tones.

"Hey Kiddo, what's going on?"

"Do you know of any hunters in Lebanon?"

"Besides you guys?"

"Obviously."

"Everyone hunter worth their salt knows the Winchesters own Lebanon. They wouldn't dare take on a hunt there unless they had a death wish. You obviously think there are other hunters there though."

"Dean does. He's got me paranoid."

"How did I get from transferring half my savings across for you to buy a house to searching for other hunters in your area?"

"It all started the same...Protecting your granddaughter."

"Y/N...Alright. I'll make some calls."

"Be subtle. If she doesn't have a target on her already, don't you dare go lining up the crosshairs."

"Have a little faith, would you? I'll talk to you later."

"Thanks, Bobby."

After hanging up you make two PB&Js and take them along with a glass of water into your bedroom. You find Dean flicking through the channels with Destiny snuggled into his side fast asleep. You smile and he mutes the TV. You take a seat on the bed beside them.

"So?"

"Eileen seems nice. I had a chat with her and Sam about it. They said they'll do some research and Bobby said he'll look into it. But so far, I think we might be wrong and overreacting."

"I hope so."

"You were brought up a hunter...would you have known at her age?"

"Probably not. It was too brief. Even I wasn't that good at that age."

"Sam said the same thing. Even I was older when I started hunting, but the signs aren't obvious and she hides it well."

"Yeah...But I still think we hold off on moving out for a little while. Just until we're sure."

"Yep..."

"I'm sorry, Sweetheart. I should've..."

"Don't go there. None of this is your fault. You were finally getting wrapped up in being a dad. You never have to apologise for loving that little girl and being happy. That's exactly what I want."

He gives you a small lopsided smile and nods, showing he accepts your words but is still blaming himself, but before you can say anything else he changes the subject. "That dinner?" he asks nodding at the plate on your lap.

"Yeah, sorry it's not much. I don't have much of an appetite and I didn't feel like cooking."

"You make it?" he asks and you nod. "Then it's perfect." He gently lifts Destiny so she's lying flat on the bed between you and then sits up. You hand him one of the sandwiches.

Before you take a bite you watch him and smile softly. "I love you, Dean."

He lifts an eyebrow at you, but once he finishes chewing he says, "I love you too."