Solo Roadtrip Comfort

You and Dean stay with Bobby for a few days before Sam catches a new lead. Dean, not wanting you to travel alone again insisted you drive back to the bunker together before he and Sam headed off again. While you didn't really want to return to being alone, you finally agreed the bunker was home and you were safest there. You all knew it wasn't going to be a milk run, but Dean promised to be back in time for your ultrasound appointment. However, nothing had gone to plan since they left. On the third day in pursuit of the high-level demon they'd called Bobby in for assistance. You were spending every waking hour researching and looking for demonic omens. With less than 48 hours to your appointment and no significant progress, you decide to call Dean to encourage him just to come home and regroup.

"Hey, sweetheart, everything okay?"

"Yeah, just miss you."

"I miss you too. I really thought we would've caught the son of a bitch by now."

"I know..."

"24 more hours, okay, sweetheart? I'll come back for the appointment, demon or no demon. I made a promise and I intend to keep it."

"I called up to convince you, but truly, Dean, it's just an ultrasound. I'll get the pictures and there'll be others. We'll probably barely be able to see anything anyway. You should keep on this demon. It could be the key to creating a safer world for our peanut."

"We're chasing our tails, baby. We're no closer to finding it than we were a week ago. I just want to hold you in my arms again."

"I want nothing more than to be in your arms, but..."

"I know. I'll give it 24 more hours. If we catch a lead we'll chase it, otherwise I'm coming home to you. Deal?"

"Deal. I'll let you know if I find anything."

"You better not be overexerting yourself with research. Promise me you've been sleeping and eating and managing your stress."

"I promise. Three full meals a day with snacks and I'm in our cold, lonely bed with a book or a movie by midnight, up every day well after dawn."

"That's my girl. I'll be back to warm up that bed and give you some company soon enough."

"I love you. Get back to work, I'll see you soon, okay?"

"Alright, sweetheart. I'll call you tonight."

You hang up and go to the kitchen to make yourself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich before going back to research, but you find the peanut butter jar empty – damn Dean putting empty jars in the cupboard. The thought of your fiance makes you smile for a second. But your craving takes over. You go to your room and change out of Dean's T-shirt into one of your own with ripped jeans and finish your outfit with one of his flannels before slipping on your boots and heading for the garage. You take the keys for the bright red car off the hook and get in, driving to the store. Once you get there you grab a new jar of peanut butter and a range of your other favourite snacks including a fresh apple pie. You take your things to the counter but something feels off.

You feel uncomfortable with how the cashier is looking at you. You could've sworn his eyes were pitch black, but when you walk over with your groceries and get a closer look they're bright blue. You try to push the anxiety down, but you can't ignore your years of hunting experience and the sinking feeling in your stomach. That's when you realise you had left the bunker completely unarmed. So instead you try to be inconspicuous and just pay for your groceries and leave. You keep looking back over your shoulder with each step you take towards your extremely conspicuous car. You quickly get in and lock the doors behind you and zoom off back towards the bunker. Once you're out on the straight road you call Dean, but after two rings you hang up and call Sam instead.