Shaken Comfort at a Playground

You and Dean sit on a park bench close to the playground as you encourage Destiny to play with the other kids.

"What if I don't fit in? I'm not normal. What if they can tell?" Destiny says as she starts to tear up and she grips your arm.

You pull her up onto your lap. "It's okay, Sweetie. Just introduce yourself and say you're new to town. Just be nice and follow their lead. You're alright. Sure your diet is a little different, but in most other ways you're a normal little girl."

Dean stands up and holds his hand out to her. "Come on, you ever tried a swing?"

She shakes her head as she looks at you as if asking for permission. "Go on. Have fun." You smile as she takes Dean's hand and lets him lead her to the swing set. You take your phone out to get a video as he lifts her up onto the seat and holds it steady as she gets comfortable. Her knuckles go white as she grips the chains tight. Dean stands behind her and pushes gently.

"Alright, hold on tight and I want you to kick your legs out and back as you swing. It's all about momentum," he explains to her as he continues to push her gently. He gradually adds pressure to build momentum for her and propels her higher. She giggles as she goes higher. After a few swings, he takes a step back to let her swing on her own.

You see the panic on her face when she swings backwards and doesn't feel Dean's hands connect with her back. "Dean! Dean?!"

"You're doing it! Good work! Swing your legs out, and back. Out. And back. Good job!" Dean tells her as she continues to swing unassisted.

You record for a few more seconds and then put your phone away to be more present. After a few minutes, a little girl around Destiny's size walks up beside Dean and tugs on his shirt sheepishly. He kneels down to her level, still keeping an eye on Destiny, but giving the stranger some attention.

"Excuse me," she says quietly.

"How can I help you?"

"Can you...please push me too?"

"Uh..." Dean nervously scratches his growing beard and looks around the park for other parents. "Where's your parents?" He asks.

"They work out of town a lot and we travel often. It's just me and my big sister, but we had a fight."

Dean instantly pictures a young Sam in that same position and softens. "Sure, come on." He stands up and grabs hold of the chains on the second swing and holds it steady while she climbs on. "Hey D, what are the rules?"

"Hold tight!" She calls out as she swings past. "And swing your legs out and back!"

"Good girl!" He says to Destiny and then leans down to face the other child, "Think you can do that for me?" She nods enthusiastically. "Alright then, here we go!"

He pushes her gently and then slowly builds momentum. Both girls giggle as they swing in sync, with Dean's help. Once they're both happily swinging together he turns to you. "Okay, you girls have fun. I'm gonna go sit down for a minute but just call out if you need anything, okay?"

"Okay! Thanks, Dad...I mean, Dean." Destiny's smile drops and her legs stop swinging. Dean grabs the chains carefully and helps her slow down. "I'm sorry, Dean." She starts to tear up.

He kneels down in front of her once she stops swinging. "Hey, it's alright. I know I'm not your biological dad, but you can call me that if it makes you comfortable. And I know Y/N will feel the same. We're raising you now." She nods and he wipes her eyes. "You two play for a while," he says as he glances back at the other little girl who has stopped swinging too. "We can talk about it more later over dinner."

She nods, "Okay, Dean."

He smiles at her and kisses the top of her head before standing up and walking back over to you. He sits down and takes your hand.

"What was that about?" You ask.

"She called me dad...and then got scared about how I'd react, I guess."

"And? How did you react?"

"I told her she can call me that if it makes her comfortable. She's our daughter in every way that matters. We're not gonna give her up now."

You rest your head on his shoulder and watch Destiny play in the play gym with the other little girl. "I told you you'd be a great dad. Who's her friend?"

"I think her parents may be hunters..."

"What makes you think that?"

"She said they travel a lot and she and her sister are often left by themselves while her parents go out of town for work."

"You think she knows? That she'll notice D?" Despite you talking quietly, Destiny picks up parts of your conversation with her enhanced hearing and looks over at you concerned. "You hungry, Babe?"

"Yeah, I think it's time to go." Dean slaps his thighs and stands up. You both keep eye contact with your little girl as Dean puts on an act and calls out to her, despite knowing she can hear you. "Come on, D! We're going now!" Dean squeezes your hand as you wait for her to run over to you. Dean scoops her up with his free arm and rests her on his hip as you walk to the Impala.

She hides her face in his neck. "Are they gonna kill me?"

Dean hushes her and shakes his head. "You're safe with us. We'll protect you. I'm just not sure if we should eat out in town now..."

"Yeah, let's just pick up some take-out and go home. Sam'll understand and so will Eileen, I'm sure," you say.

Dean tries to put Destiny down in the backseat but she tightens her grip. "I'm scared..."

He climbs in the back with her and lets her sit on his lap. He passes you the keys over the seat and you scoot into the driver's seat and then turn around. Once all the doors are shut, Dean says, "As soon as I suspected she was the child of hunters I should've taken you home. I just...I would've loved to have met other kids like me...It seemed perfect. But you're not me, and you're not just our little girl...I'm sorry."

You reach over and place your hand on Destiny's shoulder. "We'll keep you safe though. Hopefully, she doesn't even know her parents are hunters, or maybe Dean's wrong. There are plenty of reasons people move around for work. But just to be safe, let's go home and we'll look into it. I'll call Bobby and see if he knows of any other hunters around Lebanon at the moment. You may not be exactly like us, but we love you like our own daughter and we'll protect you like you are."

She nods and snuggles into Dean's chest. He tightens his grip to help her feel more secure.