Comfort in a House in the Mountains

You and Dean stand on either side of Destiny, each holding one of her hands and letting her jump and swing between you, like any toddler would, as you climb up the steep dirt road towards the stunning wooden house. A dense forest surrounds the property, its trees painted in warm hues of gold and amber from the cool morning sun. As you walk, Dean's keen hunter instincts kick in. He looks around cautiously for any signs of movement in the trees, knowing this area would be prime real estate for many monsters, especially werewolves, and with a pup playing between you, he knows you're all a clear target.

Once you get close enough to fully admire the house, Destiny says, "It's like a cottage from those fairy tales." You look at her and smile.

"It is, isn't it?" You chuckle at her child-like innocence while Dean raises an eyebrow, sceptical about the fairy tale comparison. You know he has had many bad experiences with things from fairy tales in the past so you just offer him a smile. "Give it a chance."

He scans the surroundings one last time before leading the three of you into the house. The real estate agent greets you at the entry. "Welcome! Feel free to take a look around and let me know if you have any questions."

"Thanks," you say as you continue to walk through the house. Dean makes his way into the spacious two-car garage first, making sure the space is adequate for housing his precious Baby. He smiles, nods and then continues down the hall with you and Destiny to explore the guest living area opposite the garage. With a proper home and on the other side of the hunting game, you hope to be able to welcome more visitors even if it is just Sam or Garth and his family. The downstairs consists of a large open plan area with a kitchenette, ensuite and plenty of room for a couch, queen bed, table and chairs. Making it more than adequate for any potential guests.

Destiny starts climbing the stairs ahead of you and you both follow her up the main floor. You admire the wooden, log cabin-esque walls and surrounds on the windows and double doors leading out to the wrap-around balcony. A large stone fireplace adorns the wall in the centre of the room. You imagine yourself wrapped up in Dean's arms laying on a comfy couch in front of a crackling fire with a decorated fir tree in the corner, while you watch the snow fall outside the floor-to-ceiling windows. You smile at the image in your mind; Dean softly squeezes your hand as he pulls you towards the balcony where Destiny is already exploring. With your mind back on the here and now, you follow them outside and take in the mountainous view that's even more breathtaking from up here. Destiny climbs up on the edge of a built-in hot tub and swishes her hands in the bubbling water. This area would be perfect for relaxing with your family, Dean grilling up burgers while you sip wine in the hot tub while Destiny splashes around beside you.

You turn away from the view to meet Dean's eyes. "Can't you imagine us here? Enjoying our first retirement here in the mountains as we raise our little girl. Relaxing out here or in there by the fire after you've had a long day training hunters or repairing cars."

Dean nods slowly. He kisses your head and then scans the woods again. "If we're gonna live here there's a few more places we have to check out," he says as he wraps an arm around your waist. "Hey, Dee, come on. We're going back inside," he calls in her direction.

She quickly and carefully climbs off the edge of the hot tub and hurries over to catch up with you then stays a few steps ahead. You all check out the bedrooms, and then the storage and office space upstairs, a space that will surely be filled with a selection of hunting tools and books if you move in. Back on the main level you finish the inspection in the kitchen. It has everything you need, for Dean or you to cook delicious meals, all with an unhindered surrounding view of the forest and mountains.

Pulling you into his chest, Dean says, "At least we'd always be able to see if anything's coming." Then he leans closer to your ear and lowly says, "I'd love to watch you coming in front of this view."

Your breath hitches and your heart races. You don't dare look at him as he kisses your cheek and pulls away. Just as you're composing yourself, you hear the real estate agent come back into the kitchen. "So, what do you think?" She asks.

Dean looks at you and then Destiny. He smiles and then says, "It's got character, that's for sure. I like it."

You spin around and hug him. "I really think it could be a good place for us."

"Excellent! I knew this property had potential. Let's discuss details." She places her briefcase on the bench and pulls out a stack of paperwork and a pen. "Now, I'll be honest. This house has been on the market for a while. It's got history, and some folks believe it's haunted, but that's just local folklore, right?"

You and Dean exchange a knowing look, acknowledging the truth behind the supernatural tales surrounding the house. Despite the potential risks, the allure of a peaceful, secluded life away from the constant dangers of hunting is appealing. Plus, neither of you noticed any signs of a haunting while exploring the property. There are no cold spots or strange sounds, and the EMF detector hidden away in Dean's jacket pocket continues to hum away quietly.

"We're not afraid of a little history. What's the asking price?"

The agent smiles, clearly happy at the potential of finally selling off the property. "I can work with you on the price, especially considering the, uh, unusual circumstances. Let's talk financing and closing dates. We can make this your home in no time."

As the conversation delves into paperwork and negotiations, Destiny wanders around the room, staring out at the view.

Once you and Dean finish signing the paperwork, the agent produces a set of keys, dangling them enticingly. "Once we close the deal, these keys will open the door to your new chapter. Are you ready to make this house your own?"

You and Dean share a determined nod, your decision made. You both know you're not just purchasing a house; you're stepping into a new chapter of your lives, one that promises a semblance of normalcy in a world filled with the supernatural unknown.