Comfort in a Quiet Afternoon

When you, Dean and Destiny get back to the bunker, Sam is busy in the kitchen cooking a fancy meal to impress this mystery huntress he's planning a future with. You get anxious when you see all the vegetables, salad and lean meat. You know neither your husband nor your adopted daughter will eat any of that. Truthfully, it's not your favourite either, but you'd eat it to impress Sam's girlfriend. From the doorway you ask, "Is this for a romantic dinner for two?"

"Huh?" Sam says, flustered. He flicks his attention between you and the salad he's currently tossing.

You step into the room and lean against a clear part of the bench. "Dean told me about Eileen and your plan. I think it sounds great and I can't wait to meet her."

"She's great. We're just taking it slow. I went on a solo hunt a while ago and found her there. She was already on the job, hunting the thing that killed her family; a banshee. It also left her deaf. But she's so strong, independent and badass, much like yourself."

"Sam..."

"I know. You only have eyes for Dean. I get it. That's why I knew I had to move on. Then I met her. It's not about the similarities, it's just she knows what it's like. She gets the life too and the toll. And I'm glad you and Dean are moving on to a better life, but I'm not sure I can just yet, and she's only just got her revenge and is still finding her footing after that. So I don't know what our chances are, but I just want to see where it goes. I fell hard and fast for Jess and Amelia, I don't want to do that again."

"We rarely get to choose who we fall for, Sam. If she's the one, you'll know."

"I hope so."

You nod towards the salad that is well and truly tossed now. "So, you know Dean and Destiny won't touch that, or anything you've cooked for that matter."

"I know..."

You nod. "You just tell us when you want us gone and when to return. But I would love to meet her."

"Thank you."

"Optimism looks good on you, Sam," you say as you turn around to leave him to his cooking. You catch the smile that eclipses his face as you turn the corner. Smiling to yourself you continue down the hall to the Dean cave where you can hear muffled voices. You stand in the doorway watching Dean and Destiny playfully fight over the TV remote. Dean tickles her and she bursts out laughing as she tries to squirm out of his reach. Eventually, you decide to make your presence known. You push off the door frame and say, "If you guys can't agree peacefully then it must be my turn to choose."

"No! I wanna watch Totoro!" Destiny whines.

"And Dean?"

"The new season of Game of Thrones just came out on Netflix..."

"And you think that's appropriate to watch with Destiny?"

"I was here first! She just came in."

"And who's the adult here?"

"Fine," he lets go of the remote with a sigh. "She can watch Totoro again..."

Destiny grips the remote but frowns. "I'm sorry." She holds the remote out to Dean. "I can play in my room."

You get ready to step in, but Dean takes the remote from her before pulling her onto his lap and hugging her tight. He turns on the TV, searches for My Neighbor Totoro and presses play. She lights up as she hears the opening music. He spins her around so she can watch, with her back leaning against his chest. She looks back at him confused.

"We watching or what?" he asks with a smile.

"But..."

He pats the spot on the couch beside him, so you join them. You rest your head on Dean's shoulder and he moves one arm to rest around you.

"Being a parent means making sacrifices and compromises. My dad never got that. I'm not him. My family is always going to come first. I can watch my show later."

"Thank you," you whisper into his neck.

He nods and kisses your head before you all go quiet and focus on the movie that you've seen multiple times now. You all eventually drift off.

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───

When you wake up the TV is dark. You check Dean's watch for the time: 3:30. Your stomach growls. You carefully get up trying your best to not disturb Dean and Destiny who are still sleeping and go out in search of Sam. You find him sitting at a table in the library reading something on his laptop.

"Got an ETA for Eileen?"

"Around six."

"You want us gone before then?"

"You don't have to be. But yeah, may be easier if you are and then just come back after dessert..."

"Sounds good. I'll wake up the napsters and then we can go get some ice cream or something and go to the park. I want to start trying to get her to play with other kids anyway. She's acting like a normal kid mostly anyway, but I just want to make sure she won't act out around other kids. Then we can go out somewhere for dinner. We'll have our own family afternoon and night and come back when you text."

"Are you sure? I feel bad about kicking you guys out."

"It's fine, besides, I offered. And we really do need to start doing more normal things like this as a family if we want to get out."

"Alright. Thanks Y/N."

You nod and walk back down the hall. You make a quick detour to go to the bathroom, and tidy your hair from your nap before going back to the Dean cave to wake up the rest of your family. The last thing you want is to startle Dean and have him go into self-defense hunting mode, so you come in quietly and sit on the couch sideways facing him. You softly run your hand through his hair and kiss his cheek. "It's time to wake up, baby." You then lean down and place a kiss on Destiny's head from where she's snuggled into Dean's embrace.

After a few minutes they finally start to stir. Once Dean's almost fully awake and alert again he leans over and pecks your lips. Destiny blinks up at you as Dean keeps his arms wrapped around her securely.

"Good evening, my two sleepyheads. How do the two of you feel about going out? Get a treat, maybe go to the park? And then dinner?" You ask slowly and carefully, making sure not to overwhelm them so soon after waking up.

"What about dinner here? Eileen?" Dean asks.

"Dinner here is only for two. We'll come back and meet her after. I've already talked to Sam."

"He's been around for most of our dates, always C-blocking me. How come he gets privacy?"

"Dean," you chastise him, as you flick your eyes down to Destiny warning him about his language. "Neither of you will eat what he's cooked anyway. It's rabbit food."

"Fine," he says with a sigh.

"Come on, would it really be so bad to go out with just the three of us for some family time?"

"No, it's just not fair."

"Life rarely is, suck it up." You tickle Destiny's foot that's resting on the couch beside you. "You wanna come out with us?" She nods, Dean releases his grip and she climbs off his lap. "Alright, go put on some shoes and a jacket, okay?"

"Okay," she says before scurrying off down the hall.

Dean leans over and kisses you deeply. When he pulls back he quietly asks, "you think once we get back maybe we could finally spend some time just the two of us, in bed? Let me worship this sex body?" He runs his hands down your sides.

"We'll see. I can't promise you anything, Dean. It depends on how Destiny goes. And how tired we both are after this evening."

"I promise I won't be too tired. And you don't have to do a thing. Just relax and let me make you feel good."

"We'll see. I know you miss sex, but we just have to be more careful about getting caught now. It's one thing having Sam or Cas walk in, but Destiny? She's a child, I won't risk scarring her like that. Plus, I don't want the awkward conversation that follows."

"Yeah, me either."

"Come on, she'll be ready soon. We need to get ready too." You take his hand and pull him to stand up and then you both go to your room to put on a jacket and shoes, just as you'd told Destiny to do.