Comfort on the Road

Once he pulls into the designated hotel car park, Dean gathers up all his purchases, slinging the bulging clothing bags and the bag of hearts over his arms while carefully balancing the cardboard tray of coffee and pastries in his right hand as pushes the door shut before making his way to the elevator. In front of your door, he attempts to pull his key card out of his pocket without dropping everything before resigning himself to knocking.

You rush over at the sound of the knocking and peek through the glass hole before swinging the door open for your husband. Seeing his full hands and the bags hanging off his arms you quickly step aside to let him put everything down on the table.

"I was gonna ask where you snuck off to but all this answers my question." Once his arms are empty you wrap yours around him from behind and kiss his shoulder over his flannel. "I know you're not comfortable with this set-up. Thank you for trying for me. This means so much to me."

Dean turns around in your arms and sits his hands on your hips as he kisses your lips softly. "I know you're still struggling from the pregnancy. If this is what you need, we'll make it work."

You feel the hot tears welling up just from the mention of your loss but you try to push them down as you rest your head against his chest. He pulls you close and rubs your back and places a soft kiss on the top of your head.

Once you gain back a little composure you look up at his face and say, "Let's eat and then go see Garth and Bess. We can figure it out from there."

He nods, kisses you again and then lets his hands slip off your hips. As he looks over your head he notices Destiny sitting on the bed watching you. As you sit down and start investigating what Dean picked up for breakfast he grabs the bags of clothes and sits them on the bed.

"I got you some clothes that should hopefully fit. I obviously don't know what you like so I just got a bunch of options."

"Thank you," she says quietly as she looks curiously at the bags.

"I also got you some more of those hearts from last night."

She nods and starts to pull some items out of the bags before scurrying off to the bathroom to get changed. As she disappears behind the door Dean comes back over to sit with you at the table and eat the now colder pastry and coffee. When you think he's not looking you blow him a kiss – but of course he saw it – and then finish devouring your delicious breakfast.

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───

An hour later you're all showered, dressed, packed up, and on the road again towards Wisconsin. You teach Destiny how to play some games on your phone and then give it to her to play while you use Dean's to text Garth and let him know you're on your way to see him and Bess. After you send the text you watch the road for a while before looking over and watching Dean's concentrated profile while listening to the soft rock music filtering through the radio.

After a while, you decide to ask one of the questions that's been on your mind for a while. "Why Miami? Why Florida?"

Dean shoots you a quick, confused glance before fixing his eyes back on the road, "Huh?"

"I mean, did you just drive as far east as you could or was there a reason?"

"I wasn't really thinking until I crossed that final border. Then I spent a few hours in Tampa...in that field. It's not the same during the day. Or without you. I made the most impulsive decision of my life there, and I couldn't help but wonder if I made a mistake that night. If I did it for the right reasons."

"And? Did you?"

He glances back at you and you can see the love but also the fear and sadness in his eyes. "I don't know. I guess by that night we were already too far gone, you were already...pregnant. But if I could go back to the night in the barn..."