No Comfort in the Chapel

After sharing the leftovers from dinner in bed you and Dean get dressed and head down to a fancy clothing store on the boulevard. You walk in hand-in-hand, politely greeting the nicely dressed saleswoman at the cash register. After perusing a few stands you pick out a pair of long black pants, a white button up and a black blazer. Quietly hoping Dean has forgotten your conversation from last night you start towards the front of the store.

He stops you midway and gives you a stern look. "We had a deal. You can't wear that out to a five-star restaurant."

"We have a case, remember."

"Just pick out a nice dress or two and then we can go. I'll relent on the fashion show, you can do that back at the hotel."

"Babe..."

He crosses his arms and wanders to the back of the store in search of a seat. You sigh and make your way to a rack with a range of dresses. You pull out a few different styles and colours holding them against your body before dejectedly returning them to the rack. Hunting rarely provides opportunities to dress up, you can scarcely remember the last time you wore a dress. You wore a tight, black knee-length dress for a case once but when you ended up having to try to chase down a werewolf in it you vowed to only ever wear pants. Every dress you look at seems too formal or sexy and so far from your style. After waiting for what feels like an eternity Dean comes over and finds you.

"So, what've you got?" he asks looking at your empty hands.

"I don't do dresses, Dean. These are all too much. They're too fancy or too short. I'm past the point of needing to dress slutty to get laid and they wouldn't look any good on me anyway."

"Hey, anything would look absolutely sexy on you."

"That right there is my point ... I'm fairly certain you'd say that about a burlap sack. I don't need to dress like that for attention and I don't want to."

"Just because I think you're sexy regardless doesn't mean I don't like to see you all dressed up." Lost for words you stay silent, so he continues. "Fine. Let's go hunt this ghost then," he says dejectedly as he walks towards the register with the outfit you picked out earlier.

You feel bad for disappointing him. You know he's just trying to do something different and special and wants to spoil you. Following him to the front of the store you decide that you'll try harder to be open-minded and come shopping again after the ghost's gone. By the time you catch up, he's already paid for your outfit and is collecting the receipt. He holds the door for you and you follow him out without a word.

"I'm sorry," you say as you get into the car. He passes the clothes to you and puts the car in drive, zooming back to the hotel without a word. "Dean, Baby, I'm sorry. I know you're just trying to do something nice for me. I promise we can go to another store after we hunt this thing."

"No, I'm forcing you to do something you clearly don't want to. As soon as we gank this thing we can just go home." He pulls up at the hotel, shuts off the engine and gets out. You shake your head and follow him.

Back in the room you both change into your formal wear. You chance a few sneaky glances at Dean as he's changing but he keeps his back to you. Pulling the new jacket on you slip the room key, your phone and fake ID into your pocket and slip your gun into your waistband and then reach for the door. Dean silently follows you out. His silent brooding has always been a thousand times worse than a verbal fight because you know he's silently replaying everything that happened and is blaming himself.

Back in the car, you reach your hand out for his but he flinches briefly before reaching his hand out and placing it on your thigh and squeezing. "As soon as we finish this we'll do whatever you want, I'm sorry for pushing. I love you."