Comfort in a Home-Cooked Meal

Over the few days without Sam and Dean, you and Destiny do face masks, makeup, manicures, pedicures, and watch many movies. You both enjoy the freedom and relaxation of it all. You and Dean text as much as possible, assuring the other that you're safe. You Google the property from the newspaper and peruse the photos for hours, imagining what it could look like with your few belongings inside and with your and Dean's touch. You almost send him the link to the advertisement, but stop yourself. He always takes things better in person, and so many changes have already occurred recently. You don't know how he'll take another massive life change so soon.

He texted you this morning saying they were hitting the road and coming home today. The hunt had been more difficult than they had hoped. But that's not unusual. There's always some turn that drags them out. You know the territory well, so you didn't complain or make him feel worse. You just offered help from the Bunker; completing research late into the night while Destiny slept.

Now knowing he'll be home for dinner you set off working hard in the kitchen, Destiny at your side. Despite not liking the smell or taste of any of the ingredients, she helps eagerly. With her help, you manage to cook a decent-looking three-course meal. You have cheesy garlic bread and tomato soup to start, a mixed roast with chicken and veggies for the main and a large apple pie for dessert. You feel bad that Destiny won't enjoy eating anything she helped create, but her happiness shows you that she just enjoyed the process and being able to do something nice for Dean especially. Once you're done cooking, Destiny even helps you with the mountain of dirty dishes, not wanting to create or leave any extra work for the boys when they get home after the rough hunt and long trip. You want to just snuggle up with your husband after dinner and not worry about anything.

While they've been away, you even had Destiny sleeping alone in her room. You would stay with her and chat until she fell asleep and then wait a while after but then you'd sneak out to the library to do research for the boys. And for the first time, last night she finally stayed the whole night in her own bed. She didn't wake up crying or crawl into your bed. You're not sure if it's all the relaxation techniques you've been trying or if she's just finally adapting, or a mix of both, but you're glad all the same; for her sake and yours. You just hope she'll do it again tonight so you can finally have a quiet night – or even an eventful one – with your husband alone.

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───

The boys finally arrive home around 6 pm. You and Destiny are snuggling on your bed watching another anime when Dean walks in. He instantly dumps his bag on the floor and dives onto the bed with you both, wrapping you both up in his arms.

"I've missed you guys," he says as he kisses Destiny's head and then pulls you in for a soft kiss.

"We've missed you too. But we had a fun girl's week too." You pause the movie causing Destiny to pout. "But you must be hungry. Dinner's ready and waiting." Dean looks at you mischievously and you instantly know what he's thinking. You give him a stern look and shake your head. "It's in the kitchen."

"Can I tell Sam?" Destiny asks, surprising you both.

"Sure, go ahead," you say encouragingly. You smile as she crawls off the bed excitedly and scurries down the hall.

Dean takes the opportunity to pull you closer to his chest and kiss you passionately. He starts to get carried away, pushing you down into the soft memory foam mattress as he crawls over you. "I'm sure you cooked a delicious meal, but the only dinner I want is right here." he kisses down your neck as you fight to contain yourself.

"As amazing as that sounds...the door's open and that little girl will have a lot of questions if we don't go out there or if she sees this. And I'm not ready to answer those questions. Are you?" you ask as you push him to sit up.