Chapter 1.1-Yoona

Dear reader, the chapter title will indicate the PoV for the chapter, which will change each chapter of the story.

Growing up everyone knew about soulmates. A mark would appear on your body on your 16th birthday and the person who shared your mark was your soulmate. There really wasn't much more to it. If you were soulmates the universe intended for you to be together, you were a perfect match.

Soulmates were meant to find each other, so things would always work out to put those people in each other's orbits. It was no surprise to discover your soulmate was already your boyfriend or girlfriend, or the kid down the street. That made things easy. You didn't need to conduct a worldwide search for your soulmate, it just wasn't that complicated. So when I discovered that Hyunjin was my soulmate it came as no real surprise. I had grown up in his household and we had always been together. We were tutored together, played games together, explored the outdoors together. I barely have any memories that don't include Hyunjin.

My parents were long time friends with Hyunjin's parents. And while my parents were poor, Hyunjin's parents were rich. Very very rich. As a kindness they brought me into their household and raised me like their own child while my parents worked abroad. They fed me, educated me, clothed me, and taught me everything I needed to know. Living on a large estate filled with tutors, acres of land, and a full complement of household staff meant we never really needed to go anywhere. Hyunjin's parents even arranged so I was able to do my advanced degree with tutors at their home.

Of course by the time I was starting my business education Hyunjin and I knew we were soulmates. This served to confirm that I would work side by side with him in the family business. After all, we were destined to always be a team. But even so I never forgot that all of the money, and frankly everything came from his side of the family. I always worked extra hard, knowing I could never pay them back. In exchange the family taught me to be the perfect hostess when we had guests, I worked tirelessly managing the companies finances, and no matter the circumstances I was always by Hyunjin's side.

The other people in the company treated me cordially but were never close, which my in-laws said was appropriate considering I was the owner's soulmate and eventual mother to the company heir. Altogether I was happy. I knew exactly what I needed to do and I did it perfectly.

One of my regular duties was to visit each of the factories to review their operations. I hadn't ever learned to drive, my in-laws noting it was an unnecessary risk considering we always had a driver that could take me. So I spent the time driving to my monthly visits relaxing in the back seat, enjoying the view from the window.

It was during one of these trips that everything changed. Suddenly the car was bouncing from a crash, glass was flying, and there was a terrible crunching sound. I was so shocked I wasn't quite sure what happened next. Some other cars had stopped nearby and must have called for an ambulance which arrived shortly to collect both me and the driver. I tried to explain to the paramedics that they should simply contact my in-laws to collect us, after all they had a full time doctor to look after the family and the household staff. But they insisted on taking me to the local emergency room just to make sure everything was fine. I was able to grab my small bag from the car, but could see my cell phone was irreparably damaged in the crash.

When the doctor came to see me he said I looked relatively well, just needing a few stitches in my arm along with some bandaging to cover my cuts from the flying glass. As we were wrapping up our conversation the doctor mentioned that he was surprised I wasn't in the national medical records system. I just shrugged. To be honest I wasn't aware that kind of thing even existed. The family doctor just took care of me when anything was needed.

The doctor then assured me that he had taken the liberty of adding my information, including my soulmate mark. After I thanked him the doctor let me know that my soulmate was on his way and should be here soon. At that point I would be discharged to go home. After I thanked him again he gave me a brief nod before leaving to see his next patient.

I was ready to go home, the adrenaline finally passing from the anxious stress of the day. What I didn't know yet was that stress was just beginning.