Chapter 1.9-Namjoon

Since the moment I met Hyunjin I hated that guy. He just seemed like an ass and poor Yoona was caught up in his clutches.

It was only a day or two after Yoona was with us that I met with the company to discuss Hyunjin. I sensed if he had invested this much effort into tricking Yoona to believe she was his soulmate, he probably wasn't going to go away that easily.

In today's world it really made no sense to mislead someone like that. It was highly illegal and he probably had his own soulmate waiting for him. I wanted to find out more but we also wanted to see him punished. And I was prepared to use whatever legal action was available to us to make sure he stayed away from us and from Yoona for the rest of our lives.

It was about a week later when a manager pulled me aside letting me know they had found some information on Hyunjin. He asked me to stop by and see the company lawyers when I had a break in my schedule later that day.

I grabbed Jimin to come with me for moral support, considering he'd already met Hyunjin and felt similarly about isolating him from Yoona and the rest of us. And was I ever glad I did after I heard what the lawyers had to say.

"Well, I have good news and bad news." Was the greeting we received as soon as we sat down. "The good news is that the law is on your side. We can file charges against Hyunjin as early as today and he'll be detained until the court proceedings."

"Ok, and what's the bad news?" I was holding Jimin's hand and I could feel his anxiety spiking already.

"Hyunjin's family is involved in some less than savory businesses. They have a lot of wealth and reach and they use that influence to make friends with powerful people who might be convinced to turn a blind eye. From what we're gathered, they don't generally go down without a fight. I think you can expect that if they went to such extreme measures to convince Yoona that she and Hyunjin were soulmates, they are likely to feel unkindly about her being away from them."

I just stared in shock. Jimin was the first to break the silence. "But Yoona worked for their company, and she doesn't seem like the type to be involved in illegal businesses. Are you sure this is the right Hyunjin?"

"Yes, I'm sure. They do have some above board businesses and that's probably what Yoona saw. Either that or they've frightened her into not saying anything. Either way, I'd expect they will be reaching out to get Yoona back before long."

I wasn't sure what I felt most at that time. Anger. Confusion. Fear. Everything was rushing at me all at once, and I realized it wasn't just my emotions but also Jimin's from where our hands were firmly connected.

"Then we definitely should take legal actions against Hyunjin to show them that we aren't going down without a fight either. If he's in jail we may at least have more time to figure things out. I don't think any of us are willing to lose Yoona now that we've found her. And certainly not to that family."

The lawyer nodded his head in consent. "It requires the full soulgroup's support to take legal action like this, so discuss it with the others and come back to me as soon as you've all signed off. In this specific case you won't need Yoona's consent since the legal proceedings will highlight the damage done to the existing soul group. But it would be best if she agreed with the approach."

With a polite nod I stood and walked out, hand in hand with Jimin. I decided the first thing we needed to do was talk about this with just the seven of us. Based on how that conversation went we could approach Yoona later and get a sense of what she was thinking. I sent a note to our group chat letting everyone know we needed to convene after dinner.

I wasn't that worried about Yoona feeling excluded from our conversation. After all she usually was the first to excuse herself to clean the kitchen and then she'd go directly to her room for the evening. She declined almost every invitation to be together unless it was just with Yoongi, always insisting that she was fine on her own.

I went into the conversation expecting it to be difficult, and that was exactly what it was. Everyone was already so on edge with the rifts between us and the endless low level tension transmitting through the bond.

Ideally we all would agree on the next steps, but it became apparent quickly that was not going to happen. Not only were there a lot of differences of opinion on whether or how we should press charges against Hyunjin, but of course several individuals used the opportunity to reinforce how unhappy they were with the situation altogether. We preferred to make decisions based on everyone's agreement, but this time even a simple majority would have to suffice.

The eventual vote saw a majority in support of legal action, although poor Jimin was in tears by the end when Hobi pointed at me and said "I want to make it clear that I disagree with this, so when this all blows up just know I'll be the first to say 'I told you so'". Hobi made a quick and loud departure afterward, making sure he slammed every door on the way.

We had always hoped that finding our last soulmate would be the thing that fully firmed up our bond together. But instead it seemed to be tearing us apart instead. And I just didn't know what to do next. Some were upset that we were having the conversation without Yoona. Some thought it was the wrong move to rile up Hyunjin and his family which was immediately met with a challenge from the other side that we couldn't just sit and do nothing, along with accusations that the individual must not really care about the soul group. Our group had really turned on each other, and the fighting and criticism was becoming increasingly harsh. We had never been like this before.

I know that sometimes being a leader is hard, but I didn't really feel cut out for this. The soul group was supposed to be my sanctuary. I didn't even know how to start thinking about fixing this.