Chapter 3.7-Namjoon

The next morning Yoona was sitting on my lap for breakfast when she began to point at a piece of fruit on the table. I grabbed it and brought it to her mouth so she could take a small bite. And then two more.

"You know Joon, I think that is the first time we've seen her ask for anything," Hobi reminded me.

"Yeah I guess you're right. Hopefully it means she is getting more comfortable."

Hobi thought for a moment, "maybe it's time to try again and see if we can learn something about what has happened for the last four years. What do you think?"

I didn't want to push Yoona. She was finally becoming comfortable with us and I was reluctant that we might frighten her or scare her away. But at the same time Hobi was right. If we were ever going to make real progress we needed to find out what had happened.

"I think we should start with easy yes or no questions" I suggested. "I don't want to see her crawl back into her shell."

I picked up two more pieces of fruit and offered both to Yoona to see if she would choose one. For several seconds she just stared at the fruit before she turned to look at me with a questioning glance. "Which would you like little one?" I whispered to myself as I slightly moved each hand, attempting to communicate that she should choose. After several more long seconds she touched my left arm. As I slowly brought the fruit closer she nodded her head in confirmation.

After she'd had the bite I kissed her hair and squeezed her tight. Maybe we could find some other ways to communicate.

After breakfast I took Yoona to sit on my lap on the couch and pulled out my phone so I could type text that she could read.

Can you hear?

I could see Yoona reading the text which felt like progress already. When we'd tried to give her notes to read in the past she simply ignored them.

Eventually I saw Yoona move her hands up to cover her face as she shook her head "no". While this came as no surprise any response, even to confirm what we already knew, felt like a huge leap.

I didn't want to press too far so I tried to communicate how proud I was through my actions. I covered her hair with kisses and squeezed her close, gently rocking side to side.

But I wanted to try one more question. She curiously watched me type to see what words would show up as I continued.

Can you speak?

Since she'd come to us we hadn't heard a single sound from her. Not when she cried, not when she had nightmares, never. So we were left to assume she couldn't speak either.

But she didn't quite shake her head no, instead she buried her face into my chest, clutching my shirt in her fingers. After she'd hidden for a while I saw her shoulder raise in a small shrug.

She didn't know? How could you not know if you could speak?

Can you try?

It took a bit to get her attention to look at the phone again, but when she did her eyes welled up with tears as she violently shook her head no, unsuccessfully trying to crawl out of my lap.

I held her tight trying to calm her, eventually feeling her still in my arms so I could wipe the tears from her cheeks.

I grabbed my phone one last time.

It's ok little one. We can figure it out together when you are ready.

She began to relax in my arms again as I returned to swaying her side to side.

"Hey Hyung" Taehyung-ah called my name as he and Kookie came into the room. "When Kookie met with his trainer earlier today he recommended some things to help Yoona begin rebuilding her strength. While I expect we'd all be glad to carry her forever, it might be worth starting now to see if we can start to rebuild her muscles. What do you think?"

As soon as I agreed Kookie was reaching for Yoona to hold her himself. He gently laid her on her back and began to carefully move her limbs, demonstrating that he wanted her to push against him.

It was a lovely sight to see, Kookie and Tae bent over Yoona with beautiful smiles on their faces, gently supporting her and encouraging her. They were so careful with her and I couldn't help but notice their hands brushing each other more than was necessary. The three together were in a blissful bubble. And while I was a bit jealous I wasn't part of it, seeing them together gave me a bit of hope.

Shortly afterward I heard Jimin and Hobi enter the apartment together, Jimin breaking into peals of laughter. "Hey hyung, we just got back from shopping. We got some comfortable clothes for Yoona since ours are way too big." Two more soulmates together trying to care for Yoona.

Yoongi-hyung came into the room to see what the noise was about and joined me in observing the two sets of soulmates, glowing together.

"I'm telling you now Joon, Yoona is going to be the thing that brings us back together. I just know it."

I gave him a small smile as he took my hand in his, once again opening his bond to me to show his hopefulness and expectation.

I rested my head on his shoulder, once again grateful for the closeness and the company

"I hope so too."