Chapter 3.19-Taehyung

It was a very rough night. Yoona was clearly having horrible nightmares and there was very little I could do about it. The best I could do was hold her close and let her cling to me like a liferaft keeping her afloat in an ocean of fear.

The next day we were both exhausted and Yoona was still a weepy mess. She refused to go anywhere or eat anything so I returned to carrying her everywhere again. She always seemed to be frantically looking around, seeing if Jungkook was nearby while shaking in fear. But Jungkook had made himself scarce, not wanting to upset Yoona further. He felt terrible about what had happened and figured the best he could do was leave the apartment for a while so Yoona could have some peace while she recovered.

By the third day with no improvement we were all getting anxious. Jungkook was a mess, missing spending time with both Yoona and his soulmates while he hid out at his brother's apartment. And if anything Yoona seemed to be getting worse.

Jin was tucking her into bed increasingly early to try to encourage her to get more sleep and I had largely been sleeping next to her in Jungkook's absence, a factor of my schedule which had a bit more freedom at the moment. I was stealing myself for another difficult night, letting Yoona drift off to sleep first while hoping the nightmares would stay at bay. But it wasn't long before she started thrashing around, arms held like she was trying to push someone away.

But then, the strangest thing happened. I heard a whisper.

"Kookie"

I waited, certain I had misheard, but then it happened again. Just a quiet whisper.

"Kookie"

Tears began to flow down Yoona's face and I realized she wasn't holding her arms out to push away, she was searching for Jungkookie, missing her constant companion.

I quickly grabbed my phone and called Jungkook. "Hey, you need to get back here right away."

"Why? Is something wrong?"

"No, just trust me, get back here now. Yoona needs you."

"What? What do you mean she needs me?"

"Just trust me Kookie, she needs you. Please come now."

"Ok, I'm on my way."

It took about 20 minutes for Jungkookie to make it back to the apartment and in the meantime Yoona had continued to whisper out his name. He cautiously opened the door to my room after quietly knocking and I motioned for him to come closer.

"She wants you." I smiled at our youngest boy.

"Why do you think that?" Jungkook looked skeptical.

"Just hold her, you'll find out soon enough."

Jungkook crawled into bed with Yoona and gathered her into his arms. It only took a few moments for Yoona to clutch him closely. "Kookie, Kookie, Kookie." She whispered, holding him as tight as possible.

"Tae, Hyungie, did you hear that?" Jungkook looked at me in shock.

"Yes I did" I broke into a huge smile which Jungkook matched with his own.

Yoona had finally said her first words. And I was pretty sure that Jungkook was never going to let me hear the end of it.

———————————-

Jungkookie had been happy since Yoona returned but not like he was now. Yoona wasn't upset with him, she needed him. And she'd said his name. I would be surprised if he ever set her down again. It was clear that Jungkook was head over heels in love with our last soulmate and it was impossible to avoid his bursting joy that radiated through the bond.

Over the next few days it was like Yoona and Jungkookie were the only two people in their little world. They were constantly attached to each other, pressed as tightly together as possible. If Jungkookie wasn't clutched to her, she was undoubtedly glued to him, her arms pulling him tighter and tighter. We'd hear her whispering Kookie softly to herself and to the man in her arms. Every time our baby boy heard the whispered syllables he would squeeze her even tighter, covering her hair and temples with kisses.

Just a few years ago our soul group would have felt such painful jealousy at their closeness to the exclusion of others. But now it felt beautiful, and it seemed to only remind us of our love for one another. Over the last few nights I'd spent every night wrapped in a soulmate's arms and it was heavenly. I wanted to be as close to them as Jungkookie was to Yoona, often resulting in clothes discarded on the floor while we tangled together intimately, repeatedly returning to each other like magnets in the night.

We had a terrible scare, but hearing Yoona begin to regain her voice might have just been worth it. I couldn't wait to hear her whispering my name too.