Ten months ago (Fay) CHAPTER 2

Heartbreaks are a funny thing. It really does feel like your heart has been ripped out of your chest. Did you know that people can actually die of a broken heart?
Like I said. Funny thing. The organ that's keeping you alive for the rest of your lifes can kill you because of a feeling called love. It's a little dramatic when I say it like that, but this 'feeling' can be the death of you. So I'd decided to never fall in love. Why should I? I don't need it. All I need is myself. I'm the only one I can count on anyways.

In my opinion people who fall in love are weak. Weak because they can't protect their hearts. Weak because they need something that makes them feel better. You're probably asking yourself what made me this bitter. Maybe it's because I've never been loved. Not by my mother. Not by my father. Not by a single fucking soul. It's okay for me, I guess. I don't need anybody, it makes me a stronger person. A person as cold as stone. But is this a good thing or is this a weakness I haven't discovered yet?

                                                                                                         ~

I am a bored some days. Those are the days I go into my favorite bar, and drink until I forget.
I'm at my third drink now and already feel better. The feeling of the alcohol flooding through my blood makes me feel alive, good to a certain point, and that has to be enough for me. It has become enough for me...
I can feel his presence before he even gets the chance to speak. Slowly I turn my head to find a pair of eyes already looking at me.

"Hey, beautiful." an aggressively handsome man greets me with such a deep voice, I swear it creates goosebumps on my skin. "Can I buy you a drink? You look like it would make you feel better."
I raise an eyebrow at his statement. "No, thanks." I blankly answer with a cold smile on my face. I turn away from him, making my intention clear, that I'm not interested in talking to this stranger. But he seems to doesn't get my rejection.
A deep chuckle fills the space between us. His chuckle. I slowly face him again.

"Is something funny?" I ask, my voice as cold as ice.
"It's just," he say's through laughter. "your the first woman who's ever turned me down." I arch an eyebrow at his comment, not feeling impressed in the least. "I like it, beautiful." dimples form on his cheeks. Holy hell.

"I know this sounds cocky, but it's true." his caramel eyes shine with amusement. He has a sharp jaw, the smallest hint of a beard shadow and is dangerously tall. At least six feet three.
"Do you wanna know what I think?" there's a seductive tone to my voice. "I think it hurts your ego of being turned down. So you've made it your mission to get on my nerves until I finally give in. But I can promise you this much. It won't work."

A dangerous smirk turns to his features, and I could swear I know this smile. "Yeah? You so sure about that, beautiful?" Why does he keep calling me beautiful?
"Oh, I've never been surer than anything." I shoot, then put enough money on the table to pay for my drinks and more and stand up. Ready to get the hell out of here.
Away from this stranger.

"Wait!" he calls. "Can I at least know your name?"
I simply quirk an eyebrow at him.
"It seems like you already have one, so I don't think there's a need for that." I reply, turn my back to him, and then continue to walk out of the bar.

"It was nice seeing you, Fay." the deep voice of his say's, making me stop in my tracks. Every muscle in my body stiffens. Because I've never told him my name...
And when I face him again with a stiff posture and our eyes connect, realization hits me harder than I thought would be possible.
Because I know this man. It's been years and we were only kids, but still- I know him. Knew, past tense. It's been too long, too many years of silence and unanswered questions.

"Mason." it's barely a whisper of mine. The shock must be written all over my face.
When I've recovered from the shock of the realization I snap, "Why the fuck did you pretend like you didn't knew me?" there's obvious anger in my tone.

He shrugs, making me vibrate with the need to slap him. Hurt him. Do something.
"I wasn't sure at first, but you haven't changed a bit in your temper, so I played a little." My hands ball into fists, ready to punch this asshole in the face. What the hell happened to him?

"I'm not a fucking toy you can play with!" I call, sick of this fucking conversation and start walking again.
My mind is racing with old memories. Memories I could never forget.
When the cold air hits my face, I feel like finally being able to breath again.
What the fuck is Mason doing here? He left years ago and never mentioned of coming back. He mentioned nothing, actually.

I can hear heavy footsteps close behind me. I walk faster. But the footsteps don't falter.
He gets to grab my wrist, and turns me harshly until I face him again. The force almost sending me flush against his hard body.
I catch myself by placing my hands on his chest. "What the fuck was that for?" I hiss. "I told you already; I don't want anything to do with you. Yes, I do remember you, but that doesn't change the fact that I'd like you to leave me the fuck alone!"

Mason stabilizates me by holding my forearms, until I'm on right feet again. But even then, his hands remain on me... as if he doesn't want to let me go just yet.
"I don't care what you want, beautiful," he soothes. "You were right with you being my new target. And I'd like you to know, that I play for my victory." he actually winks at me. Every fucking person on earth looks like an idiot doing that. So why does he looks like a model posing for the magazine?

"Take a fucking hint, Mason!" his thumbs are making slow circles on my arms, and it seems like he doesn't even realize that he is doing this. Or he does know exactly what he's doing but is pretty well in hiding it.
Goosebumps spread all over the places his touch hits my skin. And I hate myself for the reaction I have on him.
I am stronger than this. I should be stronger than this. I've builded walls of steel that nobody could ever break and reach over the past years.
So why does it feel like Mason can look inside of me with just one simple touch? I pull myself out of his grip.

"Stop fucking touching me!" I snap, not only angry at him for making me feel this way, but angry at myself.
He raises his hands, holding them in the air like somebody is holding a gun at his head.
He smiles down at me. "You're right, beautiful" Mason agrees. "you're not just a toy. You're my first persistent challenge, and you have no idea how much I love a good challenge." there's a dangerous glint in his eyes.
But the fact is, I know exactly how much he likes a good challenge.

He looks like a predator playing with his prey.
What he doesn't know; I'm a predator too, and I'm hungry for blood. He want's to play? Fine.
But we'll play my rules, and they'll ensure my fucking victory. They always do.

Another one of my cold smiles appears on my face, my blank stare back again. "I give you one last chance, Mason," I tell him. "I'm not a fair player, if you decide to take this challenge, it won't be easy. Because I'm not a weak opponent, I play to see blood. So don't take this challenge, thinking you'll win without getting burned."

Something like respect flashes his eyes and another emotion I can't quite put together. Was that a hint of...desire?
"Thanks for warning me, beautiful." he say's, his voice a shape deeper than normal. "I appreciate the offer. But like I said," he brushes a strand of hair behind my ear, leans down and whispers. "I love a good challenge."
With that, he leaves. I can only look after him, the feeling of his touch still mingling on my skin.
What the fuck was that?

That's when I ask myself, how he will contact me. But more importantly I wonder, what I'd just consented to.
Who'll give in first? Who'll fall first?
I've never felt this kind of attraction in my life. Sure, I did have had sex before. But it's different compared to the tension Mason and I just had. The tension between us practically vibrated with energy- waiting to be used.
And I have know idea what I'm gonna do about it.