(Fay) CHAPTER 55

I watch in shock as Mason pulls the final trigger.
There are two shots.
The first bullet goes straight through Candice's heart.
The second lands between Masons father's eyes.
It is a brutal scene to look at. And my heart pains for my husband.
Knowing he has loved his family so much, and they have betrayed him this badly.
It is a hit right in the stomach. A betrayal for life.

My wide eyes meet my husbands.
There are unshed tears in the sweetest caramel. Squeezing my heart in pain.
With long, powerful strides, Mason is at my side.
Unbinding me from the ties and removing the tape from my mouth.
The moment the tape is gone, his lips clash onto mine, hard and soft altogether.
Almost as if this kiss is proving, that this is reality. That I am truly here.
Alive. My heart beating. My nose breathing. And my taste for him to take away from me.

His forehead lands onto mine. Eyes closed and heavy breathing on both sides.
"I want to punish myself, beautiful." his voice is rough, touched with fury and guilt. "For every second you have been taken from me. I promised to protect you. I promised to-" his voice breaks, his shoulders shaking.
I cup his face, holding him pressed against me. Trying to take all the guilt and pain he feels onto my own shoulders.
Just like he wishes to do with me.
"I told you, you'd be safe with me, Fay." Mason pulls away, his eyes so sad, that it breaks my heart apart.
I shake my head at him. "No, you didn't." I almost laugh. "You've warned me, Mason." I keep my eyes trained on his, so that he knows how important my words are. "You have taken your distance from me, because you knew how much danger this would put me in. You've warned me again and again." he's the one shaking his head now.
"I should have fought harder." his jaw is hard, his feelings closing up. "I knew I'd put you in danger just for being close to you and I still couldn't stay away from you. What kind of a failure am I, if I can't protect my own wife?"
I caress his cheek, trailing every little crease and scar he has gotten over the years with my forefinger.
His eyes close. His lips form a firm line.
"If you haven't protected me," I begin. "Tell me why I am alive right now, Mason."
His eyes open almost immediately, horror now to find in them.
Is he thinking about me dead right now?
My voice is barely a whisper when I speak. "Without you, I would be dead." he winces, the fear in him an open book for me to read.
"You rescued me, when Mandy was about to shoot me-" I try, but he interrupts me. "I should have found you sooner! You where there only because of me. Why don't you see, that I am the cause for all your bad life experiences?" his voice is desperate, filled with so much regret. And I hate that.
My hands fly in the air, a confused feeling in my stomach. "Because you were in my only good ones!" I shoot almost instantly.
He takes a step into my direction again. Only inches parting us.
I want to touch him, but I am scared how he'll reacted to that.
Will he flinch? Be hurt by my simple touch?
Before my thoughts can multiply themselves, Mason reaches for me.
Pressing me against his body, like he needs to feel every inch of mine, pressed to his own.
"Every breath I take, is for you, Fay." he murmurs into my hair. His strong hands and voice causing my skin to go up in flames.
"Every beat of my heart, is only ever for you." he pulls away so our eyes can connect. I want to fall into the deep depths of caramel. I think I already am.
"And all the love I am swimming in, is yours." he ends.
I close the distance between our faces, connecting our lips, like they've always needed to touch.
Even in our teens, it was so hard to keep the distance.
I didn't knew what it was back then, but I do now.
It is the requited love with share.