5 months ago (Mason) CHAPTER 21

Even though a police officer called me and said that my parents died in a car accident, I still can't fully believe it.
Not in the world we live in. The world I live in.
My life stopped being normal the moment my parents and I were on the run. Trying to leave the past behind us, because it was too dangerous. Full of bad people.

But how can you escape something, when the evil is on the run with you?

My family never stopped worrying about getting discovered. They were living with fear till the rest of their life's.
And I hate that. I hate, that I couldn't stop this from happening. That I couldn't safe them.

"Check the security cameras and tell me exactly what you see." I demand Enzo.
Even though I despise him since the day at the bar, he's really good at what he's doing.
I was never the type to hack into security system's. I was more focused on dealing with the problem, instead of figuring it out.
Enzo does the opposite. That's why he's asked me to kill Alex Redfield. He's not much of a dealer.

"What's in it for me, Mason?" this arrogant fucker asks.
I quirk an eyebrow at him. "You really think there has to be something in it for you?"
"That's exactly what I thought." he states. 

I laugh at him, and then slowly point my gun at the fucker.
"I wanted to give you the easy way, Enzo." I tell him. "But since you've been asking so nice. We'll make it my way, now."
He swallows when he sees the gun. Then shoots me a nervous grin.

"You know I don't do favors for free." he say's, his dark eyes meeting mine.
"I know you don't," my voice is threatening. "But either you do what I've asked you to so nicely, or you will die right here, and will never be able to do anything else."

My finger slips to the trigger. Enzo gives me the reaction I wanted, when he squirms on his chair. Almost shitting himself.
I smile down at him. "Do we have a deal?" I ask on a threat.
There's a small anger filled nod on his part, just before he say's, "Yes. You've made yourself a deal."
"Very good decision, Enzo." I tell him. "I expect a call in two hours. You better have something with importance then."

                        ̃
I left Enzo's office an hour ago, and am now on my way back to Fay.
I know it's been not more then an hour and a half, but I still feel this emptiness when she's not around.
As if something is missing when Fay is not at my side.

I'm just about to knock on her door, when a scream fills the air. Her scream.
I react faster than I can think. I break the door open, my fingers on the gun that I always carry with me.
I can feel my heart beating in my ears, my eyes searching for Fay.

And then, I see her. My heart stops working in my chest. Not able to function right at the sight.
She's covered in blood. There's tape on her mouth to keep her quiet, but she managed to get it off a little, even though her hands are tied to a chair.

When Fay spots me, all the panic in her eyes seems to vanish. As if only the sight of me gives her safeness.
The moment I see her, I go as fast as I can and bind her loose.
I can only bet that you can see the fear written all over my face. The fear that I could have lost Fay today.

"Who did this to you, beautiful?" I rasp, when I tear the tape away from her mouth.
I look for answers in her deep green eyes. A tear makes a trail down her cheek.
She shakes her head in oblivion. "I didn't know them." Fay whispers.

And my fear only heightens.
When I touch her to look for the injury that caused her to bleed this much, she lays her hand above mine.
"Mason." she say's on a broken whisper. "That is not my blood."
Our eyes meet. "It's his."

Thank god.
I swear I've never felt this much of relief in my life. To know that she's not hurt, lightens my heavy heart a little.
"But how?" I ask, still so confused.

Fay swallows. "There were two of them. Both were wearing a black mask to hide their identity." her hands are shaking I realize, I take them in mine and close my big hand around her so much smaller ones.

"I didn't have a chance, Mason." she sob's, laying a hand over her mouth to stop the sound.
My heart is hurting so much seeing her like this. I wrap her into my arms and whisper soothing words into her ear.
"Shh, baby. Everything will be alright. I promise." I stroke her back, calming her with every passing tear that leaves her eyes.

"I won't let this happen to you a second time. I'm so sorry, beautiful." my voice is broken.
I've never felt this much guilt in my life. Never this much fear for a person.
When Fay's sobs have stopped, she starts speaking again. "They knocked on my door. I thought it would be you," her voice is hoarse from all the crying. "but when I opened it, the men were storming into my apartment." she swallows. "I reacted as fast as I could. I ran into the kitchen and grabbed the first knife I could see. One of the masked guys followed me and h-he grabbed me. T-touched me when I tried t-to push him off of me." I see red. Vibrating with bloody murder.

"I did the first thing that came into my mind." her eyes meet mine again. "I stabbed him, when h-he tried to rape me. He hasn't seen the knife I've hidden behind my back. The only thing he's seen was his hunger. T-trying t-to rape me."

I wrap my arms tighter around her when she starts crying again.
My mind is racing with murderous thoughts. I want to see the men hurting her dead. I'll do everything in my power to make them suffer. Everything.

When Fay's calmed a little, she continues. "I didn't kill him. But I still hit him good. The other man stormed into the kitchen when he heard the pained scream of his accomplice." she wipes tears away from her eyes. "I don't believe they were here to hurt me. I think they were here to scare me or something. Because the guy who'd I didn't stab, just tied me up and then left with his compliance. Well, after he said something really confusing."

My head snaps to Fays. "What did he say?" I ask on a dark whisper.
Her eyes narrow in confusion. "It was only some weird shit, Mason."
I lay my hands on her shoulders and lean down until our eyes are on the same height.

"Fay. I need you to tell me exactly what he'd said."
She looks at me like she's trying to figure me out.
"He said something like 'this is only the beginning, little flower. The moon rises when the sun falls.' " she quotes.
Fuck.

"The moon rises when the sun vanishes into the dark." I whisper almost to myself.
Fay sucks in a sharp breath. "Yes, that's exactly what he'd said. How did you know that?"

I swallow. "Because my brother used to say that."