(Mason) CHAPTER 53

Something is wrong. I can feel it deep in my bones and in every cell of my body.
My hands are shaking when I press the call button for the 7th time.
The voice mail sends me right back into my panicked state.
Where the fuck is she?
It's been almost half an hour and Fay still hasn't returned. Something has happened to my wife, and if I don't hear from her any second now, I will lose my fucking mind.
If anything has happened to Fay because I wasn't there for her, for another fucking time, I swear to god, I will fucking punish myself with the most tortures ways there is to think of.
I hate myself for leaving her alone. For not keeping my promise. Again.
The tracker, I installed in her phone if this scenario would ever happen again, shows me the last place where she has been.
My heart skips a beat when I realize the red dot is moving.
I'm coming to get you, baby. Stay with me.

The car doors slam shut and I press the gas immediately. Driving way too far over the limit.
But I don't care. All I see is Fay. Tied. Hurt. Dead.
Cold rushes the blood through my veins.
My heart beats drastically, praying for dear life that I haven't lost my wife already.
I believe to die at the thought that anything has happened to her, could happen to her.
My breathing goes in loud puffs. My hands close firmly around the steering wheel, turning my knuckles white.
But my eyes remain on the red dot. Fearing it'll vanish any second. As if I look away for too long, I've lost Fay forever.
I cannot breath. I cannot think.
All I can do is panic. Believing I'll never get her back.
Not in this world.
I don't deserve her, and now that god has realized that, he takes her away from me.
As if she was never there.
A toy he can play with just to kill me from the inside out.
I'm already dying a slow death. Every breath I take without her, is a waste of life.
I won't ever feel alive again. Not with her gone.

The tracker tells me, that Fay has stopped moving.
She's inside a factory. A building that has been sold for years, but has never been used for almost two centuries now.
I look at the shabby factory, thinking it'll crash down the moment somebody sets a foot into it.
With the gun in my right hand, I open the door with my left. It opens with a loud shrieking sound.
Perfect. Now everybody on this fucking planet knows that somebody has set foot in here.
My jaw clenches. It doesn't matter, they will find out my presence soon enough.
A bullet between there eyes my leftovers.
The inside of the building is even more ruined than the outside of it.
Plastic, wheels and rusted metal tells me, that this was once a car workshop.
It's not pretty big. But if it'd use some cleaning und much repairing, I guess it could be a nice garage.
There is a black van standing in the middle of this place. Two big gates behind it.
Did Fay come here through this van?
I look around for any sign of my wife. Fucking nothing.
The gun presses firmer into the skin of my hand, showing my panic.
Do not leave me, Fay. Please, baby, don't ever fucking leave me.
Where the fuck is she?
And then, I hear it. A muffled scream. All the hairs on my body stand up.
It was Fay's scream.
She lives.
But I can't feel the relieve for very long, because that scream means- she is in fucking pain.
Adrenaline floods through my blood when I start running, ready to kill everybody who only thought about fucking hurting my wife.
Ready to murder every single person who ever dared to touch what's mine.
I didn't thought this factory was that big, but here are some secret passages, passages that follow to more and more.
Another scream. My heart hurts. She's in pain. Hurting.
My steps grow even faster.
I must run for three minutes until there is another cry. This one much nearer than the ones before.
I take one last turn to the left passage...And then, I finally see her.
Tied to a mast, a gag in her mouth. Her cheek red, her hands bloody as if she'd fallen to them a few times.
I can hear my heart in my own ears, beating like it is in hell. I guess I actually am.
Her eyes fall open, and as if she could sense my presence, her focus immediately lands on me.
Her eyes widen, a look of shock, disbelief and love in them. Then, she looks to her right front, nodding so very slightly into the direction.
Not wanting to take my eyes off of her, but knowing I need to, I follow her sign.
And the shock almost pulls me to my knees.
I knew they were alive. I knew what Enzo'd told me, but I never...believed him to tell the truth.
My parents are standing with crossed arms near a foreign man.
They look like their talking business. Not seeming to know that I am here.
My mother has changed so much. Not in her looks. She looks almost the same.
No, her whole presence is different. Her features look much harder. Her lips pressed into a thin line. Her eyes, and this one hits me right in the stomach, a cold death.
There is nothing, except her looks, that could give away that this, once was my so very loving and caring mother.
My father...I was never a fan of him.
I loved that he loved mum with the bottom of his heart. But that was everything I liked about him.
The cold metal of the gun presses firmer into my hand, shaking a little when I point it directly at my parents.
With my left hand I pull out the second gun, I keep for such cases, off my belt.
With one last look at my beautiful wife, who is looking at me with such sadness for me, I finally speak up.
My voice cold of emotion. "Mother." her head snaps to me immediately. A smile of a snake appears on her thin lips.
My tone is even colder when I say, "Father."
He is already looking at me, his gaze switching between me and the two guns I am pointing at them.
Instead of a smile, like my mother fakes, appears a frown on his face.
Yes, he never cared much for me. Something we have in fucking common. Probably the only thing.
"Mason!" my mothers shrill voice sounds in the room. "I've missed you so much, my baby."
"Stop fucking pretending, Candice." I growl, the words leaving my mouth in a fiery command. She actually looks taken aback by this one. Good.
"I'm gonna ask this question one fu-" something behind my father moves, I don't hesitate a fucking second. I shoot right between the foreign fuckers eyes, who was just about to lift his hand to do the same with me.
Sharp gasps sound in the factory. My eyes remain on my parents, missing no single emotion. Blood is running down my father's face.
They are shocked I just did that.
I smile wickedly. "You didn't believe I'd shoot?" I rhetorically ask. "I did this for years. Killed people, because it was my fucking job."
I make a small pause. "But I bet you already knew that."
I don't let them say anything, because I instantly start speaking again. "You will give me an answer to my next question, if not," I nod to the dead man. "I won't hesitate to do the same to you two."
"Mason!" mother shrieks. "We are your parents!"
I blankly stare at her. "You died to me the moment you had anything to do with the abduction of my wife." I tell them honestly.
"So now, to my question." I continue. "Why. Did. You. Abduct. Fay?"
Silence.
I wait for another few seconds and then, speak up again. "Fine. If you want it that way."
I shoot into my fathers leg. He shouts in pain.
My mother rushes to his side, stopping his bleeding as best as she can.
"I give him one hour until they have to cut of his leg because he's lost too much blood." I threat. "Six hours till he dies. At most."
I've hit an artery, he will die much sooner if not taken to the hospital in about ten fucking minutes.
Both of my parents stare at me. Their mouths wide open.
"Answer. Me." I growl.
A breath until my mother spills.
I never imagined I could hate them more than I already did- I was so wrong.
But the loss I'd felt the day I thought they'd died in a car accident? Nothing compares to this.
Because now I believe, I never had parents at all.