10 months ago (Mason) CHAPTER 8

This shouldn't have happened. I don't know how they found me, but they did. And this means not only I, but Fay is in danger too.
I hate that I brought her into this position. Made her a target when I should be the only one they're pointing at.
I could never live with myself if she gets hurt because of me. Just the possibility, that Fay could have died today, let's me see fucking red.

Fay ended the call with the police a few minutes ago, and I can practically feel her eyes on me. It's like she's fucking with my head without even trying to.
I sigh in defeat. "Ask what you wanna ask," I say. "but I can't promise you a great answer of mine."

"Stop the car." she demand's. My head snaps to her. "What?" I ask in confusion, not getting what she's up to.
"Just stop the fucking car, Mason!" and I do exactly what I am told. I don't push any further, because I have a feeling she has a point in whatever the hell she is about to do.

"Get out of the car." Fay demands next, I raise an eyebrow at her, but still do what she says.
When we are standing face to face she studies me and then asks the most unexpected question, "Are you in trouble?"
This girl is fucking unbelievable. She was being shot at, but the first fucking thing she asks is, if I am in trouble!

I give her an innocent smile. "Why? Are you worried for me, beautiful?" I mock. "Are you already falling for me?" and she slaps me right across the fucking face. I won't lie, I deserved that. But that doesn't make me any less surprised.
I look at her in shock, and fucking hell, this girl has a good punch.

Slowly I raise my hand to my bottom lip and smile when I see the blood on my fingers.
"Are you fucking with me right now!?" she shouts. "We were being fucking shot at, and all you do is joke about it? Is this some fucked up game to you?" Fay is kind of right again.

It seems like everything that comes out of that beautiful mouth of hers, are facts that nobody else but her can see.
"I'm sorry, beautiful." I apologize. "No, this isn't some game to me. It would be a wicked game to play, and I prefer the good ones." She's fidgeting her fingers, I take that as an opportunity to lay my hand over her so much smaller ones.

Her gaze slips to our hands. My thumb makes slow comforting movements on her skin. I do that a lot lately, I realize.
Goosebumps spread all over Fay's arms, and I smile to myself for having this effect on her.
"Do not worry about me, beautiful" I whisper. "I'm sorry I put you into this position. But I promise you this much, as long as you're with me, you'll be safe. I will protect you with my life. It doesn't matter if you want it or not, I will give it to you anyway." something flashes in her eyes I'm not sure I catch right. Trust?

"You're mine to protect. Mine to take care of. Mine to safe. So don't even try to talk me out of it, because it won't work, beautiful. Because for the moment, you. are. mine." And I'll do everything in my power to keep it that way, but she doesn't need to know that. Not yet.

"What are you saying?" Fay asks, looking as confused as I feel about my announcement.
"I'm saying, that you won't be alone as long as you're in danger." I tell her. "you will sleep at my place, so I'll be able to protect you whenever the time comes around, and somebody could try to kill you." she winces at the word kill.

"I don't need your protection, Mason," that stubborn mouth of her replies, "I've taken care of myself my entire life. I don't need anybody. Not now. Not then. Not ever."

I smile down at her, "I wasn't implying in any way that you couldn't take care of yourself, beautiful. I know that you can. But what I'm trying to say is; you don't have to fight alone anymore. I'm here to stand at your side and fight your battles with you. I'm here to protect you, so you can finally have some rest. You've fought enough alone, and now I'm here to change that."

My words seem to make Fay speechless, because she's staring at me with an open mouth, eyes wide with disbelief.
I reach out to put my thumb onto her bottom lip, following the curve of her mouth with my finger.
It's like I am hypnotized.

She sucks in a sharp breath at the touch, and my heart starts to race in my chest.
I have this asinine desire to kiss her, it actually physically hurts that I'm not doing that already.
It would be so easy to close the gap between our lips.

"Why are you looking like you're in pain?" Fay whispers in her smokey voice. Because I want to kiss you so badly it hurts.
My eyes meet hers, and just looking at them evokes the memories of her younger self.
"Fay," I rasp. "your eyes are finally living again." I get to catch a look of shock on her face, just before I clash my mouth on hers.

She moans in surprise, but opens her mouth for me in invitation. My tongue brushes against hers, making me groan into the kiss. Finally tasting her is almost overwhelming.
I grab her by the waist, pulling her closer, my lips never leaving hers. She gasp's into my mouth when our body's flush together. Her hands slide up my chest, bringing my heart out of control. Every beat yearns to be touched by her.

One of her hands makes a mess of my hair. When Fay pulls on it only hard enough for me to hurt, I drive completely insane.
I practically devour her, I've never felt this hunger. It feels like I could never get enough of her.
I put some distance between our lips, merely enough for me to speak. I'm gasping like I'd just ran a fucking marathon.

"I think you broke me, beautiful" my voice is hoarse from all the kissing. "I haven't been able to think about anything else but you, for weeks now. It's like I'm a radio with only one functioning channel, playing the same songs over and over again. Only that it's my mind, repeating my thoughts about you, all. fucking. day." she's breathing pretty heavily, too. Maybe because of my words, maybe because of the hungry kisses. "I can't stop thinking about you, Fay." her eyes seem to light up,

"You are the center of my thoughts. Everything seems to lead me back to you. It's the same circle as the earth orbits the sun."
I believe she is the key to my sealed heart too, but I'm not going to admit that.

She's just about to say something, but I shut whatever she was about to tell me with my mouth.
Fay seems to doesn't mind, because she kisses me with just as much passion as I do.
Her teeth catch my bottom lip, slightly biting down on it, to then lick the little ache away.
I love how she kisses. It matches her personality perfectly- the little sassyness mixed with her passion of words, only that her mouth overtakes the 'word' part.

"I" kiss. "don't" kiss. "want" I  kiss her neck next, stealing her breath all over again in another way.
"to hear any objections, beautiful." I mumble against her neck. "don't ruin this." I whisper almost to myself,
"not when you mean so much to me."
"Mason," Fay say's a little breathless, "Have I won already?"

My head snaps to the green depths of her eyes again. "What?" I ask, my eyes narrowing at her question.
And then it hits me. The challenge.
Even though I asked Fay not to, she still ruined whatever was between us with just a little reminder.
But who am I to judge? I was the one to challenge her.