6. Fili | Dancing Away With My Heart I

Tumblr : the-butterfly-blues

Part OnePairing: Fíli x Female Reader 

Summary: New to town, her home isn't all that she was promised, but when an older woman appears at her door inviting her over for dinner, she becomes less worried about her home and more so with the golden-haired ranch handler.

 Word Count: 1,074

***

No clouds can be seen in the azure-colored sky on this gorgeous autumn day. The leaves that flutter in the wind are wonderful shades of reds and yellows, slowly but surely falling from their home upon the tree and its branches to signal the upcoming change in weather. Despite this beautiful weather where it is neither hot nor cold, but just right, [Name] cannot help but frown.

"This is not at all what I was shown."

She had made the mistake of trusting a late distant relative to leave her something decently well taken care of, especially as they had also left her a great deal of money. The exterior was promising as it only looked like it needed a new coat of paint, but the inside is completely different from the photos she was given as reassurance that the home was in adequate condition. Instead of a decently made-up kitchen or living room, the wallpaper has begun peeling from the walls while the furniture and appliances are nowhere to be seen. The downstairs bathroom hadn't even been spared as the bathtub had been torn out and the toilet was broken. Luckily, the upstairs bathroom still seemed to work after she turned the water on to check, though once finding a leak under where the kitchen sink is supposed to be, she's forced to turn it off. Beginning to make a list of everything that needs to be done, the most important ones finding their way at the top, a sudden knock shakes her from her task. Setting her notepad down, she brushes herself off, hoping to rid herself of any dust, imaginary or otherwise, before greeting whoever has decided to visit. Opening the door, she finds a beautiful older woman with shoulder-length brown hair standing on her porch.

"Hello."

She greets the older woman with a smile, earning a very warm and welcoming grin in return.

"Good afternoon, dear. I saw your truck and thought I'd stop by to say hello." "I really appreciate that. It's nice to meet you, I'm [Name]."

Holding out her hand, the older woman shakes it while revealing that her name is Dís and she lives only a few miles down the road with her family.

"If you need anything or have any questions, don't be afraid to stop by."

[Name] nods, thanking her for her generosity, but not truly thinking about asking for her help so early on, at least not until she remembers her conundrum. No doubt will she have trouble moving the heavy appliances and furniture without any help.

"Actually, is it safe to assume you've lived here a while?" "It is. I've lived here just about my whole life." "So you know the people around here?" "Of course. Where are you going with this, dear?" "Well, I've got a bit of a problem, nothing I can't fix on my own, but something I'd appreciate to have some help on if you know anyone who has the time."

The woman offers her help at that second, truly baffling [Name]. Never had anyone but her brother and his family offered her help. In the town she previously lived in, a price usually had to be paid for generosity such as this, though Dís seems to be handing it out freely.

"You're welcome to come in and take a look, but there isn't much to see."

Stepping to the side, she allows the older woman inside despite feeling a tad embarrassed for the lack of common household appliances. Though, she knows there isn't much that can be done as she had been lied to.

"Oh my.." "That was my thought exactly."

Dís continues looking at everything in silence, though once she reaches the kitchen, all she can do is stare in shock. As a woman who wholeheartedly enjoys cooking a nice meal for her boys, she can't imagine being without the proper kitchen appliances.

"This is not right.."

The older woman can't help but let her motherly instincts kick in as she looks back to the home's new owner. This poor girl had just gotten in from a three-hour drive, at the very least as that's the closest city, only to be greeted with an ungodly mess. Considering no one has yet spoken about seeing the woman, only her truck passing through town, she's sure she hasn't even stopped at their general store to pick up groceries, though she'd be limited to non-refrigerated items until she purchased a fridge.

"How about you come over for dinner tonight, dear? I can't just leave you here without offering a proper meal." "Oh, uh, I wouldn't want to intrude. I'll just stop by that general store in town and pick up some bread and peanut butter. It's been a minute since I've had a simple PB Sandwich."

Smiling, she can't help but reminisce about the times she and her brother had those for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It had been a rough time for them, but they made it through together, always laughing and joking when they ate together, giving the sandwiches a good memory rather than a bad one. Despite [Name]'s smile, Dís simply cannot allow this. She doesn't know why she can't just let her purchase her simple sandwiches, but she chalks it up to her being a polite younger woman and that if it were her child in a similar situation, she hopes someone would do the same. Having her over for dinner could also establish and hopefully show this young woman that she is not alone here and has friends just down the road if she'd like.

"No, I am absolutely not letting that happen. You're coming over for dinner tonight or I'll have one of my boys bring you some."

[Name] can't help but smile and accept her offer as she reminds her of her own mother who had passed away years ago. Whenever her or her brother were having a rough time with money in their younger years, despite living together in a one-bedroom apartment for some time, she would invite them for dinner, though it had never been an invite really because she'd force them to take the food one way or another.

"Good. I'll see you tonight. And here, let me give you my home number. If you need anything, you give it a ring and if no one is around, just leave a message."