40. Thranduil | Begin Again

Tumblr : make-me-imagine

30 Day Writing Challenge Day 28 - 'Forbidden Love'

Pairing: Thranduil x G!N Reader

Word Count: 1.6k

***

Thranduil stared out of the window, his eyes grazed over the towering peaks of the palace, the flowing streams, and the various elves roaming around. His heart was beating steadily, but he couldn't doubt the anxiety that crept through him.

After years of trying, he finally managed to get the Lord of Rosenwood to re-negotiate the treaty of alliance that had been destroyed many years ago by both Thranduil's father, and the current Rosenwood Lord's father.

Thranduil usually did not try so hard for treaties with such distant lands, but this one held a heavy weight over him. One of loss and regret. Something he wanted to mend if he could, so that he could possibly reclaim what was once torn away from him.

Hearing soft knocking at his door, he called out "Enter" his deep voice echoed through the empty throne room.

Without turning, he waited, as he heard a few footsteps enter behind him "My King, the delegate from Rosenwood has arrived."

Thranduil felt his heart skip a beat, before he took a deep breath and steadied himself. "Bring them in."

After a few moments, new footsteps entered, and the doors closed with a resounding echo. Thranduil waited a few moments, still turned away from the new guest. "So. I hope the Lord of Rosenwood has enlightened you of everything you need to know so these proceeding can move smoothly, and quickly."

There was a pause before a voice countered his words, "I wouldn't worry Your Highness, I know of the past turmoil of our kingdoms by heart. I was there after all."

Your voice was steady and calm, and not nearly as monotone as most delegates sounded. And as you spoke Thranduil felt a familiarity behind your voice. As you finished, he turned around to look at you, and felt shock cross his face before he could hide it.

As his eyes met yours once so familiar, he felt as though he was sent back through time as his heart fluttered in his chest. In the same way it used to, when you had first known each other. Years before he had ever met his now deceased Wife, when he was a young elf, when the thought of being King, was still a distant thought in his mind.

Both yours and Thranduil's father, Oropher, had decided you and he would be married to one another. A prestigious marriage that would benefit both kingdoms, and seal the treaty of alliance between Greenwood and Rosenwood. Neither of your fathers thought it mattered much if you would love one another at the time. But, much to their gratification, not only did you get along, you even fell in love.

Both you and Thranduil were young, but you had fallen deeply for one another. But like most things, it did not last.

As Oropher and your father came to disagreements about the treaty, their pride got the better of both of them, and they fell out. Instead of the treaty being completed, Orpher and your father left as enemies. And you and Thranduil were torn away from each other, labeled as enemies, and were forced to agree to never see one another again.

Thranduil's heart was hardened after this, but as time moved swiftly in Middle Earth, he moved on with his life. Became king, married, had a son. But he never forgot you. And once your father passed, and your brother took your fathers place, Thranduil decided that maybe he could mend the tare between your two kingdoms.

He knew nothing of you now, if you had married, had children, or if you had died. And part of him was unsure if he wanted to know. And yet, another part of him made him hope that there was a chance he would see you again, and that things might feel as they once did.