19. Thorin | Doppelganger

Tumblr : blankdblank

Doppelgänger day

Courting ritual for Dwarves, a male wakes up with his belongings taken, their intended or hopefully intended impersonates them. The one to last the longest an intricately jeweled pin to wear along with a mithril jewel encrusted dagger to present to their intended if they are not yet courting. Mostly after proving they know their one well enough to fool others their offer is accepted gratefully. Dwarf endearment to seem as if you're of one soul and sometimes nearly interchangeable.

...

The Princes tell you about the holiday but leave out the part where if you win you're going to be possibly courting Thorin. Through the journey the company learned that from most angles you look like a more slender version of Thorin not counting your eyes including your uncanny ability to mimic other people's voices. All leading to your using that and fooling Azog into a trap of your own with the Elves ready to take him out in the shadows as you led him off as the Durins were not so safely fighting in Dale.

..

As Thorin was sleeping you snuck into his room taking his outfit set out for the next day leaving the customary whale shaped cake in the kitchen - a part of the tradition they still hadn't explained to you. He wakes up looking around for his clothes and his crown only to burn into a fit of rage that ends when he finds the cake.

Walking through the castle in his pajama bottoms and a plain faded and worn blue shirt you had mended for him countless times in the journey now no longer suitable for public wearing on the throne. As usual the Dwarves all bow their heads to him then double take glancing at the cookies in their hands before looking amongst each other as to who could be impersonating him.

Dis and Frerin would be the obvious ones, nearly identical to the eye but as a courting ritual it couldn't be them. Along the way more and more thanked him for the cookies and the public half an hour long concert he had apparently given earlier that was about to be replayed for those who had missed it. Joining the crowds Thorin takes a seat amongst his stunned family including Tauriel in Kili's clothes after having discarded her brown wig to sit in front of him curled in his arms as Sigrid did the same with Fili, both having been found out easily by their height but granted points for their flawless wigs and fake beards. The Princes sat smirking at the doppelganger as Thorin counted out the company. Realizing who was entertaining and playing to the favor of his subjects all day, along with, as he found out, solving countless problems he'd been having in the early morning meeting you'd made sure he would miss. His heart pounded at the realization that you had felt the same way he did and your trap for Azog was more than just an act to protect your King as he so dearly hoped.

So far you were the last to be still in character so after you had finished playing Thorin approaches you with a large smirk as you finished your flawless harp concert for the applauding crowd who chuckled as he approached finding out you were truly an impostor and waiting for your true identity.

You turned as he called out your name and stood only for him to suddenly close the distance curling his hand around your cheek and kissed you passionately making the crowds cheer loudly after he stayed happily, "I accept your proposal of courtship."

You blinked and thought to yourself, "Courtship?" Glancing at the Princes' now empty seats as they dragged their own suitors away leaving you to plan their pranks as well while Thorin admires your fake beard from mountain goat fur and nearly identical beads throughout your hair and the beard. His smirk grew admiring you in his coat before he pulled it tighter around you, "You keep this one, I prefer it on you." Accepting the pin from Dis and pinning it to his shirt just under your chin carefully.