49. Kili | Waterfalls of Old

Tumblr : mismaeve

Waterfalls of Old, Kíli x Reader, fluff, a drabble
→ staring into the other's eyes
Word Count: 1.0k

***

A rare moment it was for Kíli and Y/N to be able to steal away from Erebor and the ever-present company of their kin and people. There had been much to do after the Battle of the Five Armies, and more still while Thorin had been recovering from his wounds. As much as Y/N had yearned for a solitary moment alone with her most precious of dwarves, she hadn't had the heart or the will to steal him away from his duties as king regent, not while their people needed guidance and stability. Many a moon had come and gone before the two lovers had had a chance of escaping the bustling life of the kingdom of Erebor.

"Kíli, where are you taking me?" Y/N sounded nearly out of breath as she tried to keep up with the dwarf in front of her who had her hand clasped in his as he dragged her after him. They had been sprinting since they had left the gates of Erebor, but where they were running to, she didn't know.

"Come on, lassie, we're nearly there!" Kíli called out to her as they continued to make their way through the mountain valleys, following a path only Kíli knew of. It twisted and turned, curling around the Lonely Mountain like a giant serpent, taking them up and bringing them back down again.

"Where is there?" Y/N breathed out heavily as their path took them to higher grounds. Her heart was beating hard inside her ribcage, her throat was in flames from her panting in hopes of providing her lungs with enough air. Even her skin had become slick with a thin layer of sweat that covered her face and chest. When Kíli failed to answer her question, Y/N caught herself wishing upon the wisest of stars that it only meant that they were near their destination. If it hadn't been for her heart pounding loudly in her ears, she would have heard it sooner.

Somewhere in the near distance, perhaps around the corner even, she could make out the sounds of water falling. A waterfall, Kíli must have been taking her to see the waterfalls! The thought of it alone was enough to make a bright smile emerge on her flushed face. She had always talked about wanting to see them, and Kíli had promised he would take her, yet until now, they hadn't had the time. The realization of where they were heading to was enough to make her quicken her step and gift her lungs with second breath.

Y/N's assumption had been right, when they turned the corner, there it stood in all its might and splendor. The air around them was filled with the roaring clash of water at the bottom of the falls, splashing in all directions in a form of nearly invisible misty droplets. It was one of the most beautiful things Y/N had ever laid her eyes upon, so magnificent and powerful, a source of endless beauty and wonder.

"It's beautiful," Y/N sighed in awe as her eyes tried to keep up with the trickling water, her gaze utterly mesmerized by the sun's reflection in the water which gave birth to countless rainbows.

"I agree," Kíli murmured next to her, prompting her gaze to abandon the enchanting sight to find him watching her. His boyish face bore a sweet smile that touched his eyes, making him look beyond endearing. There was so much love in him, it was plain as daylight.

A playful chuckle emitted from her lips as she moved closer to Kíli, her heart and her eyes having forgotten all about the waterfall in front of them, her full attention was now on him. His brown eyes had always seemed almost magical to Y/N, especially now when they appeared to be capable of steering her attention away from that which she had longed to see for as long as she could remember. Kíli's eyes had the uncanny ability to consume her and swallow her whole, to devour her of everything she bore and reveal her naked soul. Even if she could spend an eternity gazing in his eyes, it would never cease to be enough.

"I'm guessing you're not referring to the waterfall?" Y/N teased him playfully, igniting an equally playful spark in his dark eyes.

"You guessed right, lass," he purred as his hands went to rest on her hips, pulling her closer so that their faces were nearly touching.

"But what you might have missed is that the waterfall, as beautiful and grand is it might be, holds no candle to you," Kíli's voice was nearly inaudible now in the presence of the waterfalls, but she had heard him well enough. Not taking her eyes off his, Y/N reached up her hand to lay it upon his bearded cheek.

"Now I know you're dreaming," Y/N teased him with a grin that went from ear to ear. Kíli's previously playful expression changed to that of a more serious one while his burning eyes remained set on hers. They said eyes were the gatekeepers of the soul, a statement Y/N could hardly disagree with. Whenever she looked into his, she could swear she saw the most intimate and personal part of him, his very soul.

"You may be right, but if this is a dream," he trailed off as if in search of words. "Then I never wish to be woken from it," Kíli said in all seriousness that echoed all the way in his eyes. His gaze was fierce, melting everything in its path including her. The longer she stared into his eyes, the more she risked getting lost there and forgetting everything and everyone but him. They had talked about swimming in the waterfall, yet she found herself floating in his eyes, completely submerged and travelling to some distant land where only they existed. It's what made looking into his deep eyes so dangerous because she always found herself utterly consumed by them.

"Neither do I," Y/N whispered as she tilted her head to the side, her eyes continuing to admire his. He could show her all the wonders of this world, but nothing would be as precious as his own dreamy eyes. Kíli smiled warmly at her words before crashing his lips on hers, forcing her to close her eyes and yearn for the next time she would see his. If it hadn't been for his passionate kiss, Y/N would have considered herself robbed of something precious. Alas his kiss was the next best thing in her books.