26. Samwise | Since Yuletide

Tumblr : okay-j-hannah

The Lord of the Rings : Oneshot

Samwise Gamgee x Reader

Word Count: 5927

Warnings: This is the sweetest bucket of candy 🍬 just a ridiculous amount of pining and the most gentle Samwise

Request: "Hi I know you probably have a lot of requests but I was hoping you could write a samwise x reader fic or prompt about sam wanting some alone time with the reader but always getting interrupted." Anon

***

When Samwise got reminiscent of his marriage to the lovely Miss. (Y/N) (Y/L/N), he always sat the children down and told the tale of how he courted her. It was an elaborate story of the many failed attempts to get (Y/N) alone long enough to say his feelings and intentions.

He would sit in his armchair, one child on his lap and another on his toes, as he described a half dozen attempts to convey his love for (Y/N) in their youth. He spoke of how only persistence and sheer dumb luck brought the pair of them together.

(Y/N) sat braiding their children's hair, only rosy cheeks and small laughs adding to the story. She adored hearing his side of things, as she was completely oblivious to his affections when they were younger.

And the map of failed attempts was told in the following order.

~

Attempt #1:

"You can do it Samwise Gamgee." The hobbit was talking to himself as he strolled the path towards Bagshot Row. "Just invite her for a drink."

He fussed with his hair and tugged at his vest, the idea of speaking with (Y/N) already making him red. Just that morning, giving himself a pep talk, Sam was so confident everything would go according to plan. But now, pulling at long reeds of grass as he walked, the idea that (Y/N) would reject his advances seemed like a very real possibility.

He had to continue talking to himself just to keep himself from turning around. "It's just a drink. A drink to let her know I'm interested. She... she would give me a chance. I think..."

The path led to the first hobbit holes, smoking chimneys and flourishing gardens. Sam tried to distract himself with the new blooms, seeking any sort of comfort from the growth. They reminded him of days in the surrounding fields – ones where (Y/N) joined the gardeners in collecting plants for the hobbit gardens.

Because that was who (Y/N) was. Though not a gardener herself, (Y/N) was a friend to all and never refused to help when she saw it needed. Perhaps it was then that Sam knew he had to tell her of his feelings.

Or perhaps it was when (Y/N) stood on his doorstep holding two pink flowers and wished to settle a disagreement among friends. Which flower was a peony, and which was a dahlia? He was able to distinguish the pair immediately and was gifted the peony from a radiant (Y/N).

"I knew it!" she had said, "I told Fatty Bolger so when he tried to give me the dahlia and called it a peony. I needed some professional help to prove him wrong," she winked at him. "He just knew I preferred peonies but had no idea what they looked like. The sorry fool."

Sam had accepted the flower barely speaking two words the entire interaction. But by the racing of his heart he knew he couldn't keep the love he had for her quiet much longer.

Perhaps he decided to express his feelings when (Y/N) came pounding on his door bearing a large blueberry pie.

He reddened immediately but ignored it to question her heavy breathing, "(Y/N)? Are you alright?"