39. Thorin | Wanted and Admired

Tumblr : make-me-imagine

30 Day Writing Challenge Day 13 - "Secret Admirer"

Pairing: Thorin Oakenshield x G!N Reader

Triggers: None

Word Count: 1.8k

***

As your eyes fluttered open, you let out a yawn and looked around, seeing the early morning light spreading across your campsite.

Turning your head, you see something lying in front of your face. Sitting up in your bedroll, you blinked a few times as you looked at the object. Reaching over, you picked up the bright red flower. You remember seeing some just like it yesterday, not too far from where you laid down for the night. Someone went and picked one for you? Perhaps they saw you admiring them as you ran your fingers over them as you passed them. You didn't realize anyone had seen you.

You smiled at the bloom, your mind flashing back to the multiple occasions along your journey in which you found various small gifts left for you. Looking around the campsite, you see that everyone is still asleep, scattered around. Looking up on the nearby hill, you see a familiar silhouette.

Quietly getting out of your bed sack and slipping on your boots, you walked up the hill, your eyes grazing over the horizon as the sun slowly began to rise. The soft warm light hitting you as it slowly reached across the valley.

Stopping next to Gandalf as you stared off at the horizon, he seemed to jump slightly when he noticed you "Oh, Y/n, good morning." He greeted, with an amused tone.

You smiled at him "Good morning Gandalf."

You saw his eyes flick down to the flower in your hand, and you saw something in his eyes. You turned a bit towards him as you lifted the flower, admiring it again "You wouldn't happen to know who left this by my pillow would you?"

Gandalf looked at the flower again and smiled "Perhaps I do, perhaps I don't."

"That means you do." You said bluntly.

He chuckled "Well, either way, it is not my place to tell you. If they leave the gifts in secret, then it means they want to remain a secret as well." He said with a nod as he looked back at the sunrise.

"Gifts? So you know about the others as well?" You asked and you saw him silently curse himself a bit as he looked at you from the corner of his eye.

"I will speak nothing else of the matter." He said simply.

You smiled lightly, amused, yet also disappointed. Hearing rustling at the campsite, you turned to see some of the others stirring as they all began to wake up. You let out a sigh as you began to head back down the hill. Your eyes grazed over all of them as you wondered who it was that kept leaving you gifts. Your eyes hesitated on one of them for a bit longer, but to you, he was the least likely to do so. Much to your disappointment.

During breakfast, you eyed all of them carefully. Seeing if any of them acted differently around you, or seemed to find out if you had the flower. But no one seemed to be acting any different, no one seemed to care.

You thought back on the previous gifts you had received over the course of your journey with the Company. The first was a perfect bright red apple, left by your bedroll after you washed yourself in a river. It was flawless and tasted perfect. You had no idea where it came from, or who left it, none of the others had any fruit with them. And only that previous day had you complained about being tired of just meat and bread.

The next gift was a piece of braided fabric to tie back your hair shortly after your own band broke. Then, not long after leaving Rivendell, you found a small satchel of fruits and vegetables left by your bag that someone had filled while in the elven kingdom. And now, the beautiful red bloom placed by your head while sleeping.